Part 37

The beginning of the night is spent in the most relaxing way Avery could think of.

She has a bubble bath when she gets back to her room, and she reads some files that were slid her way by various Alphas.

"Avery?" Roman calls, knocking on the bathroom door.

"Shit," Avery mutters, groping around the tub for a towel.

"Yeah, I'm in here," she calls back, her voice higher than usual as she desperately looks for something to conserve her modesty with.

She finally grasps one of the towels off the rail a meter away, and stands up out of the bath, wrapping herself in the towel tightly.

Roman walks in just as she finishes covering herself, and she stares at him in silence, raising a brow when he just stares back.

"You needed me?" She sighs, leaning against the wall, some of her hair coming out of its topknot and falling into her face.

She blows at the hair, trying to keep it out of her eyes.

"I was just wondering if you were hungry, or if you wanted to go for a run," he scratches his neck awkwardly, suddenly looking everywhere but her.

She rolls her eyes at his embarrassment - she's the one practically naked.

"I'm a little hungry because you did interrupt my dinner," she smirks, and he lets out a light laugh.

"That's true. I'll see what I can get you, you enjoy your bath," he smiles, walking over to press a kiss to her forehead.

The scene feels oddly domesticated, and Avery wrinkles her nose up a little.

"Okay, knock when you come back," she responds after a pause, and when he closes the door, and she can hear the bedroom door close and lock, she sighs, flinging her towel onto the floor and sinking back into her bath.

She can't relax as much now, and she feels a little on edge, which is somewhat irritating, as her entire plan for the evening was to switch off and spend some time by herself.

She grumpily picks back up her files and continues to read them, her scowl a little more prominent now.

Roman, true to his word, returns with dinner, and they eat a little around their conversation about the day's events.

"So, you and Scott?" Roman chuckles out of the blue, shaking his head.

"What about Scott and me?" Avery asks, raising her eyebrows as she looks over at him.

She still feels tense since her bath was ruined earlier, and she's feeling slightly vengeful about it - it had been an excellent bath.

Literally, he could have just texted us to ask about dinner, or surprised us with it, Sonya grumbles. She had been napping when Avery had been relaxing, and she wasn't happy in the slightest to be awoken as she had been.

"It's just weird... I can't picture the two of you together at all," he shrugs, and Avery can hear a slightly disapproving tone in his voice.

She rolls her eyes and turns her body to face him, staring into his eyes.

"It's none of your business. It doesn't matter that you can't picture us together, I'm sure people say that about us, too," Avery retorts, her temper peaking slightly.

"I know that wasn't the whole story earlier," he shrugs, keeping a hold on his own temper, not looking at her, and continuing to stare at the television which is playing some reality television show he doesn't recognise.