Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Derrick’s POV

I put my keys into the lock at our apartment door.  I got in and was surprised when Amanda came running up to me than stopped a few feet away.

‘Hey you!  How was your day?’ I asked her.

She had a big smile, ‘Good.’

‘That’s great.  What did you do today?’ I asked her, curious to know why she was so excited.

Her running up to me had never happened before, so as always, I couldn’t jump up and down like a 2 year old because I was so excited with our progress.

‘I ate balls!’ she said loudly.

‘You ate…balls?’ I asked confused.

‘Yeah!  They were so good daddy.’ She said and my stomach went in knots every time she called me daddy.

I always wanted kids with Angela but I had never imagined, not even close to the feeling of when she called me that.

‘Balls…like meat balls?’ I asked.

‘No.’ she said shaking her head.  ‘They're really good.’ She added.

It just made me more confused.

‘Angela?’ I called out, hope she would explained what kind of balls our daughter ate.

I could hear her walking in the hall and then she came into view looking gorgeous just like every day.

‘Hi!  How was your day?’ She asked me.

‘Good.  Yours?’ I asked.

‘Good.’ She said smiling.

‘Our daughter said she ate some balls?’ I asked and Amanda was still in front of me but looking at the both of us.

She laughed.  ‘That sounds bad.’ She said.

‘Yeah.’ I said nodding.

‘Well take off your coat and stuff.  I’ll check on diner and explain.’ She said.

I nodded and took off my coat and my boots.

I went to the bathroom and washed my hands.  Working on cars, it was impossible to have clean hands.  Even under your nails, didn’t matter how short they were, it was always dirty.  The only time they were clean was when I’d be on holidays.  Two weeks of not changing car parts or changing oil, my hands would start to look more normal but then I’d have to go back to work.