Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Angela POV

I took a deep breath and started talking.

‘I woke up…I never knew what time it was, day or night, I never knew.  I felt Amanda shaking me and hitting my arm, her way of showing me to wake up now.  I heard noise and I knew Jesse was coming.  I could hear the lock being moved outside the room so I sat up and made myself move forward.  Amanda jumped on the bed and got behind me.  She didn’t talk to him, never had and never did.’ She said.

‘Ever since she was born…she only spoke to you?’ He asked me.

‘Jesse wasn’t always around…in the room…but she’d make noise and when she started to talk, sometimes he was there but when she started to understand the situation we were in…she didn’t talk to him.  When she would hear him coming, she’d make me pay attention.  If I was asleep, she’d wake me up and I did the same with her.’

‘Even behind me, I wasn’t always able to help her much.  If he could grab her, he just needed to pass the doorway because I couldn’t touch…I couldn’t reach the door.  So if she was outside the room…as much as I tried, my ankle would bleed because I didn’t want us to be separated, but at the same time…I didn’t want her in the room with me if Jesse was.  He wasn’t…evil, he would make me think.  He’d ask me if I was sure I wanted her in the room…I knew what he meant so…I would tell her to leave...I didn’t want her to see.  If she wouldn’t listen, he’d step in, pick her up and leave her outside the room.  I told her so many times to never open the bedroom door if she was outside the room.  If he had too much trouble with her, he’d put her in the closet and get a chair to put in front.  Can you believe…a freaking chair!?  How screwed up is that.’

‘Did he ever…I know emotional but…anything else?’ he asked me, not able to say those horrible words.

‘He never hit her and he never…he never touched her.’ I said, making sure he heard me, I looked at him until he nodded his head.

‘I love our daughter and I wouldn’t change her for anyone in the world but…sometimes, I look back and I wish…if I had never had her, she wouldn’t have been living like that her whole life.  What kind of issues is she going to have because of him?  Is she going to be okay?’ I asked him.

‘It’s normal to think that Angela.  You did the best that you could in the environment…in that situation and no one could ask any better than what you gave her.  If she’ll have problems for the rest of her life…I don’t know but we’ll do the best we can and I’ll work my butt off to make sure she has everything she needs…if she needs special doctors…anything…I’ll make sure she gets it.’ He told me.

‘And same goes for you.’ He added.

‘I understand why you would do that for her but…you don’t have to do that for me.  I’m not…it’s not your duty to take care of me.’ I told him.

‘I don’t do anything just because it’s my duty Angela.  I do it because I want to, there’s a difference.’ He informed me.