Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Angela’s POV

I was with Amanda in our bedroom getting ready for bed.  I was already in my pajamas sitting on the bed with Amanda half asleep next to me.  I always got ready for bed at the same time as her, so she wouldn’t get scared, also when I’d come back into the room, I wouldn’t have to get changed and have a chance to wake her up.

I had read her a bedtime story, my reading was getting better.  Derrick had gotten some books which helped a lot.  At Jesse’s, reading the same 2 books over and over again didn’t help with reading out loud.  I wrote a lot of notes but not being allowed to keep them didn’t help much either.

I sang little songs for her after our book and before she’d fall asleep but, I wasn’t any good at it.  I couldn’t sing even if my life depended on it and I’d try to sing old songs which I couldn’t remember all the words.

Tonight, Amanda wanted me to sing the hush little baby song, which I hated. Like always I never remembered the words and when I'd sing it again, I'd forget the words I had invented to go with it.  It was a nightmare but she never seemed to mind.

‘Hush little baby don’t you cry, momma’s gonna buy you...some kind of bird.

If that bird…doesn’t sing, momma’s gonna buy you a plastic ring.

If that plastic ring don’t fit, momma’s gonna buy you…something else.

If you don’t like what I’ve got, you’ll just have to go too the store yourself.

If you need a ride to go, I’m sure daddy won’t mind go.

If he does…you’ll just have to wait until you’re ready to take the bus.

Now go to sleep and have good dreams.

I’ll see you in the morning while you have your milk.’

I looked at her and she was sound asleep.  I never understood how she could fall asleep to me singing.  The lullaby never made sense, didn’t rhyme, so she always amazed me that she could fall asleep like that, it always made me smile.

I stayed in bed for a few more minutes, just watched her sleep.  There was something so special about watching her sleep but I guess every parent felt that way…or I hoped they did.

She looked so peaceful when she slept now.  Not nervous, scared or petrified that something was going to happen when she’d wake up.

It was the best feeling for me to know that she liked this place.  That she liked her father so much.  That she trusted him was the best gift she could ever give.

I slowly got up from the bed and made my way slowly to the door.  I slowly opened it and walked through and looked back at her.  When I saw she was still sleep I slowly closed the door and walked to the living room where I could hear the TV.

‘Hey.’ I said turning the corner, walking into the living room.