Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Derrick's POV

I got out of the truck and made my way to the door.  I always thought this house was beautiful, ever since Angela had brought me here not long after we met.

I rang the bell and waited.

When the door opened, I was face to face with a surprised Barb.

'Hi!' She said.

'Hi.'

'Come on in, is Angela and Amanda with you?' She asked.

'No, just me.' I said walking in the house.  'I'm sorry I didn't call before showing up here.  I know it's not really polite and all.'

'Oh my goodness Derrick, you can come by anytime you want.' She said which made me smile.

'I’d like to talk to you and Dave.  Is he around?' I asked being hopeful.

'Yes he is.  He's in his office pretending to work so he doesn't have to help me cook.  I'm pretty sure he's extremely busy playing solitaire on his laptop.' She said making me laugh while I took off my shoes.

'So if you know this...why don't you tell him so he can help you?' I asked her.

'Sometimes you need to pick your battles.  I can cook on my own but if I really need help with something else, he's more willing to help.' She said smiling.

'Yeah, I understand.  I do the same thing.'  I said.

'You said you wanted to talk to Dave and me?' She asked.

'Yeah, if that's okay.' I answered.

'Of course it is, give me a few seconds.  I'll be right back.' She said.

'Nothing’s going to burn down the kitchen?' I asked and she laughed.

'No, if Dave or my daughter were cooking, then I'd be more nervous.' She answered smiling.

She left me there and I went to the living room.  The walls were a beige color, the couches were white and everything else was black.  It was a big living room with a 50 inch flat screen TV.  Everything was so clean, no dust anywhere.  The room was very adult and made you want to be careful, not to break anything but after knowing them better, they made you feel right at home.  If you’d break something, they didn't make a big deal of it, same thing if you'd spill something.

I heard Dave and Barb make their way to the living room.  They always knew I'd be in here.  I didn't go in the kitchen and I didn't like walking around in their house.  So I always stuck with the living room.

'Hi Derrick.' Dave said, appearing in the living room.

I stood up and shook his hand. 'Hi Dave, how are you?'

'Busy, you'd think it would be…less busy with Christmas coming but no.' He said and I saw Barb roll her eyes. 

'How are you?' He asked while they both sat down.

'Good.  Amanda loves school, her friend Lisa’s a character.  Her and her mother came to the apartment a few days ago.  Amanda and Lisa had fun and Caroline and Angela talked.  They wanted to know each other before we'd leave Amanda there or if Lisa was at the apartment with us, we all wanted to know...that the girls would be safe.  It's great to see Amanda have a friend her age.  Everyday you see her personality come out more and more.  It's great.' I told them.

‘Angela said that sometimes she a handful.  That she has tantrums and has an attitude.' Barb said smiling.

'Yeah she does.  She reminds me of Angela.  When they argue, it's...they're the same.'

'It reminds me of someone to.'  Barb said with half a smile.

I looked at Dave and he was looking directly at Barb shaking his head.

'Okay, so the reason I came...'

'Yes, you got me curious.' Dave said cutting me off.

'Um...I know I've asked before but, I wanted to ask again...' I said looking at the two of them.  'I would like your blessing to ask Angela to marry me.' I said and looked at the two of them.

Barb was smiling which was a good sign and I looked at Dave who looked lost in thought.

'Do you think she'll say yes?' He asked.

'I don't know.  I have to ask her to know that answer.  We haven't talked about marriage to be honest but we know we want to be together for as long as possible.' I answered him.

'How do you know that?' He asked.

'We have spoken about that.' I answered.

'If she says yes, what kind of wedding did you want to have?' He asked.

'I don't know.  I can't answer that question.  First, she'd have to say yes.  If she does, I'll do what she wants me to do.  A small wedding is fine with me.  We're not friends with a lot of our old ones so...' I answered.

He nodded his head.  I wanted to laugh but didn’t dare.  Them and questions, they did like them a lot.

'Well, I think it's really great you came by and asked us again.  You had my blessing before and you still have it.  You've been a rock for our daughter and granddaughter.  You've been respectful, patient and loving.  You've helped them instead of giving up or put them down like some asshole would have.' He looked at Bard so I did the same and she was still smiling.  'Good luck.  We'd be happy to have you a part of the family, legally.' He finished.

I took a deep breath and smiled.  'Thank you.' I said to both of them.

'It should be us saying that.' Barb said.  'You're taking really good care of them.'

'I know my visit is short but I should go.  I told her I needed to go to the bank for the new house and I came here but I still need to go to the bank.' I told them.

We all got up and they walked me to the door.

'When do you plan on asking her?' Barb asked.

'When I feel the time is right, if it's tonight then...' I said.

'Good luck.' She said smiling and gave me a hug.  I hugged her back, 'Thanks.'

I shook hands again with Dave. 'Good luck son.' He said.  'Thanks.  Don't work to hard now.' I told him smirking.

'I have it under control.' He said.

'He always does.' Barb finished.

I laughed as I finished putting on my boots. 

'Well, have a good day and I'm sure Angela will be calling after I ask her.  Just don't say anything if she calls and doesn't mention it...' I was saying.

'We won't say anything until she brings it up.' Barb confirmed.

I smiled, 'Thanks.'  I opened the door and smiled at them and walked out.  I knew they were looking at me leave but when I was almost to my car I heard them close the front door.

I got in my truck and made my way to the bank.  It wasn't far, which I was happy about because I didn't want it to take long.  I didn't want Angela to wonder where I was.

I got to the bank's parking lot and made sure I had everything I needed.  I got out of the truck and made my way inside.

I waiting in line and when they said 'Next' I walked to one of the tellers.

'Hello, what can I help you with today?' The lady asked.

'Um, I want to open my safety deposit box.' I told her.

'Okay, I just need to verify your information.  You have your bank card?' She asked.

'Yeah.' I said, taking it out of my wallet.

'Please insert it and enter your PIN number.' She said.

I did as she asked.

'Okay, I need your full name and your date of birth.' She said.

'Derrick Gibson and my date of birth is July 7 1982.' I said.

'Do you have your driver’s license?' She asked and I gave it to her.

She typed on her keyboard and gave it back to me.

She got up and left but a few seconds later she was back.

'I assume you have your key with you?' She asked.

'Yes I do.'

'Perfect.  Now, these...' She said, showing me papers 'are for security reasons.  I need you to sign at the bottom on the two pages.' She told.

I glanced at the pages, I'd already looked at them the last couple of times I had been here, and I didn't want to read them again.  I signed the pages and gave them back to the lady who was looking at me.

'Great, please have a seat, someone will call your name shortly.' She said.

'Thanks.' I said and made my way to the uncomfortable chairs.  You'd think a bank with a lot of money could at least afford good chairs, but not this one.

I'd been sitting for at least 5 minutes when a man came and called my name.  I went to him, 'Hi.' I said.

'Hello Mr. Gibson.  I'm Mr. Crane, I hope you're having a good day?' He asked.