Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Derrick's POV

I was done work for the day and I was now at my front door. I put my keys in and unlocked the door to let myself in.

I could hear the TV on and saw it was on the cartoon channel.

I closed the door and put my lunch box on the kitchen counter, that looked more like a small cooler than a lunch box.

'Hey, you're here.' I heard Angela say.

'Yes I am. How was your day?' I asked her.

'Good, we didn't do much today. I cleaned a little.' She told me.

'Uh. That's interesting.' I said.

'What's that suppose to mean?'

'It just means, you hate cleaning.' I told her, trying to hide my smile.

'I clean...a little.' She said.

'Okay, you clean but you're so curious and love to snoop. Find anything interesting?' I asked her, now had a big smiling on my face.

'I don't know what your talking about.' she answered.

I laughed, 'You want to play it that way, fine.' I said.

'Where's Amanda?' I asked her.

'Living room.' She answered.

'Amanda? Could you come here please?' I said loudly so she could hear me over the TV.

I saw her head move, getting off the couch and made her way to the kitchen.

'Hi, did you have a good day too?' I asked her and she nodded. 'I got something for the both of you.'

I went to my lunch bag and opened it. I slowly lifted the top off and brought out two stuffed animals.

I heard Angela laugh and Amanda's eyes went huge just looking at the cow.

'It's to remember the other day and how much fun we had.' I told both of them, giving each of them a cow.

Amanda slowly made her way towards me but I made sure not to move.

Slowly she put her arms around my leg, giving me a hug and then ran back to the living room with her new cow.

I was in shock, she had never even came close to doing that before.

'You see.' I heard Angela say, so I looked at her.

'All she needs is time. When she's ready she'll make the move. You can't force her...if you do, you'll lose her completely.' She told me.

'She a lot like you.' I told her.

'What do you mean?' she asked.

'I want to get closer to you but when I try you pull away.' I said.

'It's different. She's your daughter. I'm...I'm...' she took a deep breath and continued, 'I'm still angry. Sometimes things are great, it reminds me of back then but then I remember and I get so angry. Yeah, I know there are feelings there but...I can't seem to let go of the anger.' She finished.

'I'll wait.' I told her.

'That's not fair.' She said.

'I don't care. If it takes 20 years for you to trust me, that's fine. I know you don't trust me right now but, I will earn it back. I won't bring the topic up or push you but...I'll be here.' I told her.

She just stood there looking at nothing, like she was thinking.

'I'm going to go watch TV with Amanda and her new cow. You coming?' I asked her, walking backwards facing her.