Tour [Dare Part 6]

"Mr. Stilinski, I've asked you here because I'd like you to show a new transfer student around campus," The dean of Stiles' college explained as Stiles sat in his office.

"Sir, isn't that what Freshman day and the first day of semesters are for? I thought transfer students walked around campus in a group with an upperclassman." Stiles tilted his head in confusion.

"That is correct, but we only have one student transferring this semester, and I'd like you to show them around. They'll also be moving in across from you in the dorms, so I thought it was fitting for you to show them around as you might be seeing a lot of each other." The Dean smiled. "You'll meet here tomorrow morning at eight. Please be early." Stiles took that as he was excused and left the dean's office.

Waiting outside for him was his new friend Thomas; Thomas was British and had a sense of humor that worked well with Stiles'. Thomas was the first person to talk to Stiles when they started with Freshman year; long story short, Stiles tripped over himself when running to class late and took Thomas down with him; he might have given Thomas a bloody nose, but they don't talk about that because well, Stiles and blood, let's just say Stiles passed out.

"So, what did the dean want you for?" Thomas asked. Thomas and Stiles were also neighbors in the dorms, so they got used to seeing each other quite often.

"He's asked me to show a new student around tomorrow; they'll also be moving into the dorms across from us. So we're got a new neighbor; hopefully, they aren't as creepy as the last one." Stiles shivered at the thought of the last person to live across the hall from them.

"I'll report them the second they start acting weird. We put up with Freddy for too long. That weird puppet put it over the edge." Thomas also shivered as images filled his head.

"I need food after thinking about that again. Come on," Stiles weakly smiled as they walked to the small campus cafe.

Ω

"Are you ready, Mr. Stilinski? I've cleared you for your morning classes, but you'll have to make it to your afternoon classes. The tour shouldn't take too long." The dean smiled, checking the time as Stiles sat in his office.

"Yes sir," Stiles nodded, drumming his fingers on his legs. "I never saw anyone move in yesterday, sir, are you sure they made it?" He asked, noticing the time.

"Yes, I spoke to them– Oh, here they are." The dean stood to greet the new student. Stiles slowly stood from his seat and turned to greet them as well. Though, he damn near ran from the room when he saw who it was.

"Mr. Stilinski, I'd like for you to meet Mr. Hale. From my understanding, you grew up in the same home town. So I trust that might give you a little of a connection, so you'll make each other feel comfortable here." The dean was beaming at the boys.

There was a knot in Stiles' throat, and he wanted to start crying. "Hello," Stiles greeted.

"Hey," Derek nodded, avoiding eye contact.

"You best be on your way. Mr. Hale, your classes, start tomorrow, make sure to have all of your books in order, and if you don't, Mr. Stilinski will show you the campus book store." The dean sat in his chair, motioning for the boys to leave.

Stiles took a deep breath before brushing past Derek and out of the door. They walked out of the main building, and Stiles was about to lose it. "Sti!" A voice shouted; he looked up, seeing Thomas standing next to the school's founder's statue with a coffee in his hand.

Stiles didn't think; he just ran and pulling Thomas into his arms. "What's wrong?" Thomas whispered, knowing that Stiles wasn't okay, he'd only seen Stiles like this a few times, and it was over one person.

"That's him, Thomas. That's Derek," Stiles choked out. Thomas glanced over Stiles' shoulder at the dark-haired boy standing a few feet away awkwardly.

"I'll skip my morning classes and join you. I don't want you alone with him; you're on the verge of a panic attack as it is." Thomas almost growled, pulling Stiles closer into his chest.

"No, I can do this. I just needed a minute to breathe. I'll text you if something happens." Stiles' breathing was returning to normal. "Go to class. I'll catch up with you in English. Also, you can't miss your drama class; you have your audition remember?"

"You have to swear to me that you'll text me if even that slightest thing happens. I better run." Thomas sighed, sending daggers at Derek. "Oh, here, it's hot chocolate with a shot with caramel. It's a little chilly this morning." Thomas pulled Stiles into another hug, handing him the warm drink, he walked off to his class.

"So, is he your boyfriend?" Derek asked, causing Stiles to choke on his drink.

"What?" Stiles coughed. "No, that's Thomas, my best friend. He was the first person to be nice to me when I started school, and honestly, he might hate you more than I do." Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Why–"

"Let's get moving. The faster this is over, the sooner I can go to class and ignore you." Stiles grumbled and began to walk around the campus.

"So, how's your dad?" Derek asked, trying to break the defining silence that was sitting between the two.

"He's good. Loving his job, he runs the whole police force of the city. Way more people here than in Beacon Hills, he's home a lot more. Got himself a girlfriend, she's nice. We have dinner every weekend. He shows up on campus just to embarrass me sometimes, but you know him." Stiles shrugged, he didn't want to tell Derek all of that, but it felt comfortable for some reason, and no matter how badly he wanted to ignore Derek, he wanted to know about everyone back home too. "How are your sisters and mom? The pack?"

"Mom's good, you know here. Cora's in New York for school, Laura moved to New York, partly to look after Cora, but she's got some fancy, big-time job. Erica and Boyd moved to Washington for school, Issac went to Europe to study, last I knew, he was in France. I don't think you want to know about the rest." Derek sighed, kicking a rock along the sidewalk.

"Lydia's in New York as well, she told me that Scott and Allison broke up, he's still in Beacon Hills, and she's somewhere in Montana or something like that. I tried to keep up with everyone, but it was kind of hard. I also started to focus on school, so I lost track a few months back." Stiles explained, coming to a stop. "This is the book store; if you need anything, you should get it now while it's not busy."

"Uh, I'm okay. Most of my classes are the same. Mom got me the new books when she found out I was transferring and had some different classes." Derek weakly smiled.

"Okay, uh, well it's all fairly easy to navigate, the little cafe around the corner is the best place for coffee and food, but there are a few food carts on campus by the library. Do you think you'll get lost?" Stiles didn't want to leave Derek hanging, they walked around the whole campus, and they hardly said a word to each other until now.

"Yeah, I'll be okay. It's fairly close to the layout of my old campus." Derek shrugged.

"I, uh, I need to go back to the dorms to get my books before class. Do you want to join me on the walk back?" Stiles asked.

"Sure, I think I'm going to nap. It was a long day yesterday."

Ω

"So, how come you transferred?" Stiles asked halfway back to their dorms.

"I got a basketball scholarship to Texas, but they never played me, I applied here but got put on the waitlist. So when a spot opened up, I realized how unhappy I was there. I mean, I hadn't made a single friend, I wasn't doing the greatest in any of my classes, and I just didn't feel like I was part of the team; I felt like a water boy as best." Derek explained.

"Wow, they made you the team water boy?" Stiles laughed. "I'm sorry, that was rude. Look, things will never be the same between us, Derek, but we're going to the same school and live across the hall. If you need help in classes, I could probably help you out. Hopefully, you'll be happy here, and it would be extremely mean of me to say that I don't want you to be happy. Because I figured out how to be." Stiles said as they stopped outside of their dorms.

"Stiles, I–"

"I'll see you around, Derek."