Rumor [Dare Part 3]

The school year just ended. Stiles helped Derek get all of his grades up, not just his Science and Creative Writing. Now that their junior year has ended and the two have grown to be the closest of the friends, it's rare to see them apart. Stiles almost lives at the Hale home and when he isn't there Derek is at the Stilinski home.

"Did you catch wind of the rumor that was going around school right before we got out?" Erica asked Derek while they were eating breakfast on a Saturday morning, well it was almost 1 in the afternoon, but they had only been awake for about 20 minutes. Mrs. Hale had them out late on the run, they didn't make it home until almost 5.

"Which one? There was a lot. One about Allison's dad almost killing Scott was interesting, Stiles got a kick out of that. Or the one where Lydia swears that she turns anyone she dates gay?" Derek asked pushing around the last spoon full of cereal. 

"No, but those were good. I mean the one about you and Stiles dating." Dating? "Everyone is sure that the two of you are dating, you spend all of your time together. You would pick him up for school and drive him home. You two ditched all of the time and still managed the make you a straight-A student for the semester." Erica explained.

"You're kidding, right? You know that isn't true Erica. No matter how much I would like it to be, it isn't. Stiles is my best friend." Derek sighed putting his bowl in the skin. He heard the familiar Jeep pull into the driveway and shut off before Stiles bound through the front door with a smile on his face. 

"Good afternoon Catwoman!" He grinned giving Erica a hug. 

"Hey, Batman." She smiled back. He was too cheery for her right now.

"Afternoon Derbear!" Stiles grinned taking the seat where Derek had been sitting moments ago.

"How has your day been so far Sti?" Derek asked sitting next to him. He wished he had gotten a hug too.

"Well I woke up around 10 which was amazing, then I cleaned around the house a little, before making my dad lunch and taking it to him, then I came here." Stiles smiled playing with the sleeve of his red hoodie.

"Sounds fun. I'm going to go shower, don't do anything that I wouldn't do." Erica smirked at Derek before running up the stairs. 

"What did she mean by that?" Stiles sighed turning to Derek. "What were the two of you talking about before I got here?" 

"She didn't mean anything by it, Stiles, she's just being Erica." Derek shrugged trying to not make eye contact with Stiles. Stiles would know that Derek was lying if he did.

"She told you, didn't she?" Stiles sighed running a hand through his hair.

"Told me what?" Derek asked raising his brow when he catches Stiles' eye.

"About what people were saying about us before school got out," Stiles whispered.

"Stiles, is it that big of a deal? People can say all that they want, it doesn't make it true. They were probably just really shocked. I mean you used to hang out with Scott who is a complete loser, now you're my best friend and people think it's weird. The scary bad boy and the sheriff's nerdy son. It's not something people see every day." Derek chuckled trying to lighten the mood.

"Neither are werewolves." Stiles rolled his eyes. "And I'm not nerdy." 

"Stiles, you're one of the smartest people I know, the other being Lydia. Being nerdy isn't a bad thing, I think it's cute." Derek laughed. Wait, did he just call Stiles cute? He's been trying to flirt with Stiles, but he's never said something like that out of the blue.

"Look, Stiles, don't worry about what people are and were saying. It's not a big deal." Derek quickly added trying to see if he could make Stiles forget what he said.

"Did you call me cute?" 

Dammit. Derek cursed to himself. "Uh, yeah." Derek scratched at the back of his neck. They were really getting along well, they had been for almost 6 months, and now Derek's gone and fucked it all up.

"I think the way you scrunch your nose when you're writing is cute," Stiles whispered. He was nerves, he didn't want Derek to know that he'd had a crush on him for years. But since Derek said something first, why not just got for it right?

"What?" Derek asked in shock.

"And the way you laugh, sometimes it's deep down in your belly and sometimes it's high pitched. When you start to laugh so hard that you start crying and snorting like a pig, it's adorable." Stiles' eyes grew wide. He shouldn't have said that he should not have said that. Now he was word vomiting his feelings and that was going to end badly, he was sure of it.

"Well if you weren't so funny, I wouldn't laugh like that. It hurts you know, laughing that hard." Derek smirked. "The face you make when you're nerves is cute. You look like a deer in headlights, you don't know what's going to happen next. You're waiting for something to hit you like a truck or stop and let you walk away." 

Stiles watched Derek turn away from him and run and hand through his hair before turning back. "Would you rather be hit by the truck or have it stop and let you walk away?" Stiles wasn't sure how to answer Derek's question. He was scared, he didn't know what he wanted. He didn't want his friendship with Derek to end, Derek was almost all he had left after Scott, Derek fixed Stiles. 

"Would the two of you just kiss each other already before I make you?" The pair jumped hearing Erica's shout from upstairs.