Home Run

"You heard it here first folks, star Outfielder for the Dodgers, Derek Hale, has been spotted with an unknown male, only weeks after a massive public breakup from ex-girlfriend Kate Argent. We'll have more for you the second we know it." 

The headline was everywhere, Derek Hale spotted with an unknown male companion. There was nothing more to it; no one had a clue who he was, where he came from, or what his connection to Derek was. Derek didn't want anyone to know; no one needed to know. There was enough drama going around with Kate; he didn't need anymore. 

"Der, how long are you going to let this continue?" Derek's sister and manager, Laura, asked, leaning against his counter, coffee in hand, waiting for an answer.

"As long as it needs too. Everything with Kate was completely public; I hated it. And who says that anything that is going on has to be a relationship?" Derek grumbled, pushing around the oatmeal in his bowl. 

"Better not let Stiles hear you say that you'll never hear the end of it." Lydia, Derek's stylist, and one of his closest friends said, walking into the kitchen. "You of all people know that this relationship is everything to him. Derek, he dropped everything for you, if he heard you say that this all wasn't a relationship, it would crush him." Lydia was Stiles' best friend.

"Lyd's, you know that isn't what I meant. I want everyone else to think that Stiles is just my friend, or for them to never really know until I was them too. I don't want Stiles to get hurt." Derek sighed, picking up his unfinished oatmeal and setting the bowl in the sink.

"One of these days they'll figure out who he is and what's going on. You can't protect him forever." Laura smiled, resting a hand on her brother's shoulder.

"Good morning, everyone." A cheery voice rang through Derek's apartment; everyone shared a look throwing on smiles. "You can't fool me, I know what you all are thinking about, and I know when you're trying to fake it. It's what I do for a living." Stiles entered the kitchen without seeing his friends rolling his eyes when he saw them. 

"What are you talking about?" Laura asked, smiling widely at Stiles.

"Laura, you're a great manager, but a horrible liar." Stiles sighed; he turned to Derek raising his brow to him. "Well? You can't act like I haven't seen it. It was on TMZ last night at midnight; it's everywhere this morning, did you expect me not to see it?" 

"Maybe?" Derek asked.

"You know- Nevermind. I only stopped by to tell you that I would be at the game tonight, my dad is coming. I have a meeting with my publisher." Stiles rolled his eyes, picking up his computer case from the table and walking out of the apartment. 

"He's mad, isn't he?" Derek sighed, looking at the woman standing next to him.

"What told you that? He's a mystery writer, he trained with the FBI, Stiles can read people like a book, and he gets right to the point." Lydia rolled her eye, turning away from Derek. "You're all set for the day; I have to go to Stiles apartment and set everything up for his interview tomorrow." She was out the door with her bag in hand, and her phone pressed to her ear.

"You need to do something, Derek. Address this, I know you don't want it public, but you need to say something." Laura said to her brother. 

"Address it? And say what, I want my relationship to be private, and I would love for everyone to accept that? That won't happen, Laura, we both know that." Derek sighed, running his hand through his hair; it needed a trim, maybe he could do it before practice today before the game. "Will you make me an appointment to get my hair cut? Today preferably?" 

"Think of something, talk to Stiles about it. Yes, I can do that. I'll also make you a lunch date with Stiles before the game. I'll text you." Laura left Derek's apartment without another word; her phone pressed to her ear.

Ω

"You know when Laura said that I was going to have lunch with my favorite Hale, I thought she was talking about herself," Stiles said to Derek when the older man sat in front of him at the small private restaurant Laura sent them too. 

"I'm not your favorite? Well, as long as I'm your second favorite, it's okay unless that's Cora, then we have a problem." Derek chuckled, pecking Stiles' cheek. "Is it bad that I wanted to have lunch with you before my game?"

"No, but you seemed upset this morning, and it seemed like you didn't even want me at your game." Stiles huffed, slumping in his seat. He looked around, seeing that they were the only ones in the restaurant beside the staff.

"Sti, I always want you at my games. I've offered to fly you out to all of my away games this year even. I was upset this morning. I know that isn't an excuse, I don't know if I'm ready for our relationship to be public, but if that's what you want, then that's what will happen." Derek sighed, rubbing his temple with his fingers. "If it will make you happy, then it will make me happy."

"Derek, you make me happy, I could care less if people outside of our friends and family knew. But it's becoming so hard to love you when I have to constantly hide away like I'm some affair that you're having or something." Stiles ran a hand over his face to try and rid it of any tears that might have fallen.

"I'll think of something, I promise. It won't be this hard for much longer." Derek grabbed Stiles' hand, kissing the back of it. "Stiles." 

The young writer looked at the man in front of him, trying to cover his tear-stained cheeks. "Derek." 

"I love you. And I know this is a weird question with everything that is going on, but would you like to move in with me? I was looking at the pent-house on the top floor of my building, it was remodeled, and I was hoping that you maybe wanted to start taking things in a more, permanent feeling direction." Derek held Stiles' hand tight, praying that he wasn't going to hear any words he was worried about.

"I- Figure something out to tell people, I can't be sneaking in and out of my own home Derek. I don't want to feel scared to leave my home." Those words were so hard for Stiles, he wanted to move in with Derek, he wanted anything that had to do with Derek, but he couldn't keep hiding. "I have a meeting before I have dinner with my dad before the game. I'll see you later, Derek." Stiles quickly pulled his hand away from Derek's before racing out of the restaurant. 

Ω

"Derek, Derek, how do you feel about hitting  the home run that won you the game?" Derek grinned at the reporter next to him. He had just finished his lap around the field after hitting possibly the greatest hit of his life. 

"It was amazing. I've been proud of myself and my team before, but never like today. We've worked our butts off to be here playing the game that we all love, and we just dominated tonight. As for home runs, this is the best. But the best run I've ever scored is standing up in the VIP box waiting for me. Stiles, I love you, that hit for you, baby!" Derek said as his teammates raced over, jumping on him once again. He did it; they did it, the Dodgers won the game. But Derek was proud of himself for finally telling everyone about Stiles. 

Stiles was the best home run Derek had ever gotten. 

Sorry if the ending was a little lackluster. I ran out of ideas.