Avengers [Part 3]

"Stiles!" Derek shouted, running into the infirmary. Tony and Bruce turned to him; Tony walked up to Derek, hands outstretched, resting on Derek's shoulders pushing him back out into the hallway. "No, let me see him." Derek fought, Loki and Thor grabbing onto him.

"He's okay, Derek, but you need to calm down before you can see him. Stiles needs his rest," Tony said, trying to calm the wolf down. "Give us an hour, and we won't make you leave Stiles' side until he wakes up." 

Derek grunted, turning away from Tony and pulling out of the Asgardian's grasp. "Where's Cap and Bucky?" Tony didn't answer, returning to Bruce to help look Stiles over. "Do either of you know? Or are you going to make me hunt them down myself?" Derek's glowing blue eyes and his teeth growing out, Loki pointed to the hanger. Derek pushed past the brothers, Loki holding Thor back in his attempt to stop Derek. 

"Let him take his anger out brother, it's better for all of us if he does," Loki sighed, looking through the glass walls of the infirmary. 

Derek stormed through the compound, almost breaking the doors as he slammed into them, entering the hanger. "What in the hell were you thinking!" Derek shouted, walking up to Steve and Bucky; they sat on creates with their heads hanging low, covered in blood and dust, tears broke lines in their dust-covered faces. 

"That we were safe until we were attacked," Bucky snapped, standing to face Derek. "We were calling for help when they came out of nowhere and attacked us." Derek and Bucky began pushing each other, each time pushing further until Steve stepped in between them. 

"Enough. This isn't going to fix what happened. Stiles is okay, he's a little beat up, but he's fine. We aren't happy it happened either, okay? It was supposed to be a recon mission until it turned sour." Steve stepped up to Derek, a sad look on his face. 

"You know, he was so excited for his first mission because you were there with him. He kept saying that he was going to be okay because America's ass was watching his ass. Well, it looks like you didn't. He clings to the two of you because you're everything he's ever wanted to be. He's not a super-soldier, and he's not the super genius that Tony wants him to be. He's my best fucking friend; we should never have come here when Clint found us," Derek shook his head at the soldiers, tears streaming down his face. "This never should have happened." Derek ran from the hanger and out into the woods surrounding the compound; he fell to his knees and held his head in his hands. 

After some time, Derek heard footsteps behind him; he didn't care to look at who it was; he already knew. "You can't be mad at them. They did everything in their power to protect him," Clint's voice echoed in his ears. 

"It doesn't matter, he still got hurt, and I wasn't there to protect him." Derek snapped, looking up at Clint.

"So, now it's your fault?" Clint tilted his head at Derek, a small smirk on his face. "It's no one fault, Derek; Stiles wanted to go on that mission. He didn't care who it was with; he just wanted to be part of the team."

"He was doing fine as part of the team in the lab," Derek rolled his eyes, sitting back against a tree. 

"He was fixing suits and weapons. He handed Tony tools when he needed them. You know Stiles better than anyone; he didn't feel like part of the team; he felt like he was only here because you were. " Clint sighed, sitting next to Derek. 

"But he'd tell me stories about how Tony and he made something really cool or how he helped Bruce do something." 

"Well, they did, but really he was just in the background until they needed something. They do believe he's smart, and Stiles is far too smart for his own good. But Stiles was just another body. We all love him dearly, but that didn't stop him from feeling like we only cared because of you."

"Why didn't he tell me he felt that way?"

"Because you were happy going out on missions and helping us. So, he went to Bucky and Steve, mostly Bucky. When Bucky first became part of the team, he felt the same way that he was here because Steve wanted him to be. Bucky would die for Stiles because Stiles reminds him of Steve back in the day. So that comment you made to them hurt them a hell of a lot more than you think it did. And if I know Stiles, he's going to catch wind of it, and well, I hope you can handle that firecracker." Clint stood to his feet, looking down at Derek with a sam smile. "I will never regret finding the two of you and bringing you here. I know you're closed off, but you need to open up to everyone else like you have to Nat, Stiles, and I. We aren't the only ones who will understand." Clint walked off, leaving Derek to sit by himself. 

Derek didn't want to open up to anyone else. He hardly wanted to be at the compound half of the time, but he thought Stiles was happy here. Turn's out, he was wrong. Derek didn't know what to do, take Stiles and run, or figure out how to make both of them happy.