| 27| 𝙹𝚊𝚢- 𝙱𝚒𝚛𝚍 ✔︎

The two made their way into the apartment building in search of the man named Adamson. They entered the building seeing a woman in her late 70's fixing a plant. Dick typed onto the screen before they walked towards the elevator.

Harper noticed a flashing light coming from above her. A camera.
She nudged Dick, catching his attention. She jutted her chin in its direction making him aware that they were in fact  being watched.

" Butterscotch?" the old woman said as she waddled her way towards the pair. " Thank you" Harper smiled, gratefullly taking the candy. " You're very welcome dear." The woman said before turning around and continuing her work. Harper watched her frail body retreat with weary eyes before pocketing the sweets, turning around when the elevator let out a 'ding' before opening.

Harper and Dick stood side by side as the lift escorted  them to the penthouse apartment. When they arrived ,it was nothing but glass surrounding them.

Dick stepped out, Harper following him after. They approached a man who was cooking food while pouring a glass of champagne.

Adamson.

" Detective Grayson, Miss Phoenix."  The man greeted.

" Are you Mr Adamson?" Dick questioned. Harper deciding to let Dick do all the talking before she'd lose all self control and strangle the guy.

"Dr Adamson. Are you hungry? I've got something on the stove. You're not  vegetarian, are you?  I do prefer an animal-based protein." He said gesturing to the crepes that were being cooked.

" Who are you people, and what do you want with Rachel?" Dick spoke. Harper wanting the answers just as badly. Her hands flexed at her sides as she narrowed her glare.

" As much as I'd love to have a lengthy conversation with you about Rachel Roth, Detective. I'm afraid there's no time." Harper grew confused at the man's words.

" You found me. I've been exposed. So the organisation is sending people to kill us. We have one minute. Unless we leave right now. Or we could stay for one last glass of champagne." He said grabbing the glass.

" No one knows we're here" Harper piped up.

" I do." The man said before pausing.  " So does the old woman downstairs. They're everywhere." He informed them. Harper knew something was off about the lady but she couldn't figure it out,until now. Her heart began to beat faster as he continued.

" Does the organisation work for Rachel's father?" Dick inquired. " Is he still looking for her?"

" You could say that, yes." He turned as he heard the searing of the pan.       " Oh dear, my crepes are burning."

Harper grew impatient. She moved forward grabbing his collar as she pushed him up against the counter.     " Look here asshole. If you don't give me answers, I'm gonna stick your face in it." She snarled gripping his collar tighter.

" I'm sorry Miss Phoenix, but we have ten seconds before the final answers come for us." He said before looking over her shoulder to Dick. " All of us."

Harper grew frustrated as anger coursed through her veins. " What do you want with Rachel?"  She said, her voice laced with ice.

" I do love a good champagne" Adamson mused, feeding into her anger.

" I want some damn answers!" She yelled.

He made no move in giving the pair what they wanted. Instead he started counting down.

" Five, four, three..."

Harper grabbed his vest yanking him to his feet. " Okay you're coming with us."

" One"

They heard the sound of a gun cocking before a gunshot rang out. Harper shoved Adamson to the ground before she ducked behind the counter. Dick grabbed the pan, sending the burning hot oil to the  masked men. The sizzling could be heard along with their grunts.

Harper grabbed the knife from the counter sending it straight into one of the men's chest.

More men started entering as Harper and Dick tried to fend them off. Harper winced as she punched one of them. She shook it off as she grabbed the gun in his hand, she threw her weight on it pulling the trigger as the man screamed in pain as the bullet went through his foot.

A man smashed his gun into Dick's nose, stunning him momentarily. They took their opportunity at a dazed Dick as they started beating him to the ground.

Harper was still trying to fight her way through the men but they'd overpowered her, sending the butt of the gun into her stomach before kicking her back, sending her sprawling to the floor. The men left no remorse as they continued to beat the two crime fighters sensesly.

Harper groaned as her eyes found Dick's. He's face scrunched in pain as he tried to shield his body from the blows.

White smoke filled the air as a new figure emerged. Harper looked up, bloody and bruised as she saw him take down the armed men. Her vision was blurred but she could make out an 'R' on his chest. A flash of recognition hit her as she realised who was saving them.

He stopped when he saw all the men unconscious before making his way towards Dick, having not seen Harper yet.

" Wow, Dick Grayson in the flesh. Nice to meet you bro. I'm the new Robin." He said helping Dick sit up.

Harper groaned catching the attention of the two boys.

" Jay-bird?" Harper muttered as she stared at the boy in disbelief.

" Harper!" He uttered before dropping Dick and sprinting to the girl, pulling her into a hug.

" Holy shit."

Jason and Harper are my babies