5) The Callback

I sat curled up on my couch. I waited for a call from Dahvie all day but I got nothing. It was already 5 in the afternoon and I wasn't really sure what was going on. He said he would call me if he needed me at anytime or when he wanted to start. I thought he wanted to start right away. 

About 15 minutes went by and my phone finally went off. I grabbed it off the table and I didn't recognize the number, but I still answered it. 

"Hello?" I said in to the phone.

"Hello. Is this Iris?" The other person on the line asked.

"Yeah." I said. "Who is this?" 

"This is the manger at American Eagle." The lady on the phone said. My face lit up. I almost forgot about the fact that I applied there!

"Yes." I said, along with the stupid grin on my face. 

"Well I would like to inform you that you got the job. We want you to start as soon as Friday, does that work?" 

I nodded as I spoke. "Yes." 

"Good. I look forward to seeing you Friday." The lady said.

"Yes, thank you so much." I hung up the phone and then jumped up from the couch, dancing. If anybody saw me right now, they probably would have thought I was crazy. I couldn't believe I finally got a callback. 

Thats when there was a knock on the door. I stopped dancing and fixed my hair, which was tossed around my head.

I opened the door and Dahvie stood there. He had the usual blank expression so I couldn't tell really what was going to happen. It made it so hard to read him all the time.

"Hey." I smiled. 

His lips curled a bit. "Hey." I could tell he forced his smile. Its like we were total strangers now.

"So... was today the day you wanted to start?" I asked. 

He nodded. "I want to try to look back on the first date we had. We both walked to the forest, remember?" 

"I remember." It was my favorite memory. I had never shared that place with anyone before.

"I wanna go there. We can just talk like last time. It was the first time I saw you as completely different. You just seemed special. I'm not sure why I felt that way but that's why we'll try, right? 

I nodded. "Right. Just come in and take a seat. I'll get ready quick." He walked in and I shut the door.  I walked to my room and closed the door behind me. I let my body fall against the door and I let out a sigh. I missed him so much. 

_____

I judged myself in the mirror and I smiled when I was pleased. I had a fair amount of make up on with jeans and a gray hoodie because it was cold out. My hair was straight down and I had my diamond stud earrings in. I had slipped on my black converse as well. Dahvie use to tell me how much he loved it when I dressed simple. I wanted to see if that would bring any feelings back. 

I walked out of the room and saw him watching TV on the couch. "I'm ready." I stated. He looked up and forced another smile. I couldn't tell if he was just trying to please me at this point more than himself. 

We walked down the street while the sun was setting. We weren't talking and we had been walking for about two blocks. Everything I wanted to say felt wrong in my mouth. 

"So what have you been up to lately?" He asked, filling the quiet air. The only other sound was the cars going by. 

"Not much." I answered. "Just been exploring new shops. Same old stuff. I got a callback for my job though!" i said excitedly.