17) What The Hell Just Happened

Do you know one of those moments when you did something that you regret something but at the same time don't because you feel like the outcome would have been worse if you didn't do it? I feel like I'm making sense but if you know what I'm talking about, good for you. That was the kind of moment I was having now. 

Jayy stared me down, not showing any sign of emotion. He had a blank expression and his eyes stared in to mine. I was ready to be smacked around or be told he didn't give a shit. I didn't regret what I said though.

The side of his mouth curved and he let out a dry laugh. "You're pathetic."

I could only smile at this. "I know." 

The emotion from his face suddenly left when he realized any kind of moment between us was happening. "I came to see how everything was going." His eyes left mine and looked down at the ground. Something tells me that he was regretting what he had just said.

"Everything is as shitty as usual." I gave him a fake smile. "How about you?" 

He dodged my question. "I told you this deal would get you nowhere."

I shrugged. "Well at least I can die and not feel guilty afterwards."

"Don't say that." He snapped. 

I gave him a questioning look. "Isn't this technically good for business for you?" 

"I have my whole life to trick people and ruin lives. It doesn't mean I have to make sure every deal goes through."

"So you're saying you could drop all of this?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, I can't do that."

I was confused. "What do you mean?"

He was silent for a moment and I assumed he was thinking. "Can you think of any possible way that someone's emotions get brought out no matter the situation?" 

"What does it matter? You told me there is absolutely no way to get him to feel for me. Why does this matter?" I asked.

He cocked his head and looked at me with a confused expression. "You've been consumed by your hopelessness."

"I've faced reality." 

He rolled his eyes. "Oh shut up. Iris, you would not have accepted this offer if you didn't have some kind of hope that it would work."

I shrugged. "That was before. Like I said, I faced reality."

"Let me help you."

I looked at him. I was more confused than ever. He has always pushed me away or given me small hints on what to do. Hes never directly told me he wanted to help. I wanted to ask why he wanted to help but I know I wouldn't get an answer. 

"Okay." I agreed. 

"Now answer me. Can you think of any possible way that someone's emotions get brought out no matter the situation?" He repeated himself. 

I thought for a minute. "Not really."

"Dig deep."

"Can you think of anything?" I asked. 

He stood up for the couch and turned to walk away. "Nope."

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks for the help." I got up from the couch as well. 

He turned and looked at me. "I gave you an idea. Now turn that in to hope." He turned to leave again but I stopped him. 

"Jayy, wait." I said. He turned around again and looked annoyed.