8) You Don't Owe Me Anything

I walked in to American Eagle with a smile propped on my lips and I was ready to kill. Well... not really. It's just an expression, I swear.

I walked over to the front counter. There was a boy who looked around my age working. He had black, longish hair and he was wearing a gray cardigan with a white v-neck underneath. He also had skinny jeans with moccasins on. It was a style I wasn't use to seeing on a guy. He reminded me a lot of Christofer Drew. 

"Hey." I said to him as I reached the counter.

"Hi..?" He sounded confused.

"My names Iris." I said. "I was just recently hired. They told me to come in today." 

"Oh!" He said, letting his confused look turn in to a warm smile. "My names Charlie. She warned me about a  new girl coming in. Let me just show you what you'll be getting started on." He walked away from the counter and over to another girl in a short, black skirt. She has a low cut, white t-shirt on and her hair was curly. "Take over at the front counter for me while I show Iris what she'll be up too." He flashed her a smile and then led me to the back.

"Basically." He started. He picked up a clip board that hung off the wall and read it over. "You'll be helping anyone out there. You have to wear a name tag and keep your outfits to a solid color. You'll greet people, ask them if they need help, and then you should know what to do from there. If you need any help what so ever, you ask me. Like I said, my names Charlie." He reached up on top of the shelf and pulled down a little silver name tag with my name on it. "Here you go." He handed it to me and I pinned it on my shirt. Then he handed me a slip of paper. "That is your work scedule. Don't loose it because you will be the most hated employee if someone has to print it out for you again. Trust me." He chuckled and I just smiled awkwardly. 

"Thank you." I said.

"Don't mention it. Just make sure you don't act this quiet around the boss or she won't like it. Don't be so nervous either. It's an easy job." He patted me on the shoulder and headed back out of the room.

I took a deep breathe. "Okay, Iris. You can do this. Just talk to people and act happy. Just like the diner. Easy as pie." I walked out of the room and scanned the room for somebody I could bother. I had this in the bag. 

_____

I walked out of the store, feeling sick. I had never had to talk to that many people before. All day I just got upsetting stares from people who I bothered and people turning me down for my help. Now I regret those countless times I've told somebody no when they asked me if I needed help. I felt their pain.

"Hey, Iris!" A voice yelled from behind me. I turned around and Charlie was jogging up to me. "Where are you going?" 

"Wait, was work not over yet?" I was pretty sure I got off at 6. 

"No, no." He laughed. "I mean't, are you going home or walking around the mall for awhile?"

"Home." I replied. "Why?"

"Oh, I was just wondering. I never have anything to do after work. Why not make some new friends, y'know?" Trust me Charlie, you don't want me as a friend.

"Oh well I have to get walking. I have plans around 7:30." A felt a smile creep up on my lips. Dahvie and I were finally going to get a chance to just sit down and talk. We needed this.

"You walk?" He asked. "Let me give you a lift home dude." 

"No, it's ok-" I stopped myself. He was the manager of American Eagle... so this might help me out a ton. Plus it would give me more time to get ready when I got home. "Actually, sure!"