Ch.1 Nightmare Lessons

12/7/12
Ch. 1 Nightmare Lessons

When I was around seven, Dad took me on my first riding lesson, on a nightmare. Boy, was I scared. Dad had disrupted one of the Sandman's dreams to create a Nightmare. 'Course me being as little as I was had no clue what that even meant. The only way he could have created that was because he had gotten stronger though taking care of me and mom.

"Ok, Athena," Dad encouraged as he guided me towards the Nightmare. We were outside in the clearing that was near the underground hole. Mom was sitting on a fallen log, watching nearby with a smile on her face. I couldn't really see her because it was evening. Dad didn't want to risk the Man in the Moon seeing us, and he didn't want to do it in any sunlight at all.

"Daddy, it's so big!" my eyes grew wide as I stared into the Nightmare's slanted gold eyes.

"It's ok," Dad pushed me forward a bit, staying next to me. "She wont harm you." He took his hands around my waist. "Ready Thea?" That was his nickname for me. He somehow got that as a shorter way than saying Athena. I nodded reluctantly as he lifted me up off the ground and placed me on the Nightmare's back. She whinnied and shifted a little but that was it.

Mom walked over to me and Dad whild holding my little brother, Isaac, who was around five. "Be careful, sweetheart." she said to me. I nodded and smiled. She stood away a bit and dad looked at me.

"Ok girl, slow and steady first." He guided that Nightmare with one hand on her mane. I was gripping tightly onto her mane also, and she didn't seem to like that one bit. She stared jerking this way and that but that only made me grip on tighter.

"Daddy!" I yelped in panic and looked at dad fearfully.

"Hold on!" Dad told me. "Calm down girl!" he told the Nightmare. In fact, she did the exact opposite of what he told her too. The Nightmare went ballistic and I held on for dear life.

Suddenly, the Nightmare kicked off of the ground and rose to the air. "Dad!" I screamed in that high pitched little kid voice.

"Thea!" Dad and Mom both shouted and Isaac screeched. "Hold on very tightly!" Dad called to me and I obeyed clutching tighter. That drove the Nightmare mad. She started thrashing and turning and all the while I was screaming my head off.

In a blurry daze, I saw Dad on the ground trying to reach me, but he wasn't strong enough. Instead, he ran with Mom following, trying not to drop Isaac. I noticed that we passed over the cemetery about sixty feet off the ground. I had no clue how we'd gotten that high in such a short time. Soon, we zipped past the cemetery and a very sudden gust of chilly wind struck me and the Nightmare.

She obviously hated the cold, but kept pushing forward. I was getting wind bitten and really cold. The Nightmare finally broke the frost barrier and we both went crashing forwards and out of the trees. The Nightmare seemed hurt from the frost. That was when the bright light of the moon showed itself to me. I watched in surprise at the giant glowing orb.

I felt another cold wind that zoomed past us. I looked up and saw a blue figure flying down towards where we live. 'What is that?' I wondered.

I was jerked out of my thoughts. Literally. The Nightmare had gained control again and was trying to throw me off. She wasn't watching where she was going, so she rammed us into a tree. I fell down, down, down, and landed in a pile of snow. My vision began to blur and there was no sign of the Nightmare.

I couldn't keep my eyes open for that long. I felt cold and very dizzy and my back ached, so did my mouth. I gingerly touched my lip and felt around in my mouth. Something felt wrong. Aha! I was missing a tooth! Not the first time of course. This was my second tooth to have fallen out.

The first time it happened, Dad went crazy. He took the tooth away from me and hid in his office area. I asked Mom what was wrong. Mom explained to me about Toothfairy and told me that she and her mini toothfaires collect teeth to store as memories for later.

Then I asked her why Dad wouldn't let the mini tooths have it. Mom told me that she would explain it when I was much older.

I was thinking of that when I saw bright gold coloured streams light across the sky. I watched in awe and no longer felt the need to close my eyes. But the dizziness made me tired and I felt sick. The last thing I remember before drifting off was a little hummingbird like creature hovering before my eyes, holding a bloody tooth. She had a gold feather on the top of her head.

_________________

A/N: Watcha think is gonna happen next? :D Please comment!
Edit 6/12/15: I had terrible grammar three years ago. I am dissappointed in you, past self.