Prologue~Grey Eyed Athena

A/N: DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY PART OF RISE OF THE GUARDIANS OR THE ORIGINAL BOOKS. EVERYTHING BUT MY OCs BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTFUL OWNERS. THIS IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. I do however own the cover cause I made it. Ok, that's outta the way. Hope you like it! And please check out my other stuff if you like this. (If I ever write anythjng else...) Enjoy! :)

_____________

Prologue~Grey Eyed Athena

After Pitch's nightmares had chased him away in the forest and dragged him down under, he stayed there for a long while. He had to make new plans to destroy the guardians, especially Jack Frost. He tried going out in the daylight, but he was very weak and could not bear it.

Alone at night, he usually walked around a nearby cemetery, avoiding the Man in the Moon.

One night he spotted a lovely woman, crying by a tombstone. He walked up near her, not trying to scare her. After all, he only scared children and this woman was obviously not a child. She had her head bent down in sadness while her numb fingers where clutching a single red rose.

"Oh, my poor dear." Pitch muttered while he watched her.

The woman's head snapped up and she stared directly at Pitch. Her eyes widened in surprise and she stood up abruptly.

"Wait," Pitch straightened up. "Can you see me?" he asked in disbelief.

The woman nodded slowly while holding the rose even tighter. "Who," she stammered, seeming afraid. "Who are you?"

"You mean to tell me that you believe in me, yet you do not know who I am?" Pitch stared at the woman. She had dark brown hair past her shoulder with startling green eyes. He facial features where soft and wrinkle free.

"I guess so," The woman frowned a bit. "What do you mean 'believe in you'?"

"Well," Pitch sighed. "I am the Boogeyman, basically." The woman's eyes widened and she glanced at the one headstone she was near earlier.

"Oh," was all the woman said. "Wait, do I believe in you because my worst fear has come true?"

"You knew about me before this?" Pitch had to restrain himself from yelping in glee.

"Yes," the woman nodded. "I study myths and legends so I guess I pretty much believe in anything, so to say. But I didn't actually know about any of this." She gestured at Pitch.

"What?" Pitch raised his eyebrow. "You mean me appearing to you?"

"Yeah," the woman lessened her grip on her rose. "You're also known as Pitch Black, right?"

"Yes," Pitch took a step closer to the woman. "And who might you be, my dear?"

"Lynette Jennings." Lynette whispered. "You're not going to harm me, right?"

"Only children." Pitch shook his head.

"What if you had children of your own?" Lynette realized how she stated that and blushed. 'Erm..."

"I don't know," Pitch shrugged, not really catching Lynette blush. "I don't think I'll ever know. Nobody believes in me or loves me."

"You're not that bad." Lynette smiled faintly.

Pitch paused, thinking. "Is that your husband's grave?" He pointed at the stone that Lynette was crying next to.

"Yes." Lynette took the rose and set it on the stone, her hand lingering.

"He got a disease eh?" Pitch kicked at the loose dirt that outlined a coffin. "And was buried two days ago?"

"Yes," Lynette looked sad. "So that makes me a widow." She knelt down beside the dirt and put her hand out to touch it. "And I'm only 26."

Suddenly, a cold blast of wind blew through the cemetery. The woman shivered and pulled her jacket close to her. Pitch knew exactly what that meant. "You better leave," Pitch advised Lynette. "You won't be very fond of what follows a cold chill."

Lynette nodded and stood up. "Be careful," she whispered as she walked away, looking up at the sky and disappeared. Pitch watched her go, almost sad.

"So, Pitch, thought you could pick on innocent people?" Jack Frost appeared above Pitch's head.

"I wasn't even picking on her!" Pitch growled. "I could be doing better things, like if I could, I would knock you out of the air."

"Too bad you can't," Jack chuckled and spun his staff around. "You're powerless."

"What do you want then?" Pitch crossed his arms. "I can't exactly do anything since I'm powerless, so what do you want, brat?"

"Watch it pops," Jack warned, still spinning his staff. "Or I'll freeze your butt off."

"Lovely image," Pitch rolled his eyes.

"I was told to make sure you stay in this area," Jack said as his bare feet touched the ground. "We don't want you to be wandering around."

"I'm for sure not going anywhere." Pitch huffed. "Remember, I'm powerless." He waved his arms around as if to emphasize his point.

"Just to make sure, I'm putting a frost barrier around where we allow you to go." Jack laughed and leaned up a nearby tree, making frost appear where he touched it.

"Whatever," Pitch shrugged like it was no big deal, but really, it was.

"Stay cold!" Jack rose to the air with a chuckle while whisking away in a cold breeze. He walked slowly back to his underground home.

Night after night, Lynette came to visit her husband's gravestone and Pitch met her there. They always talked for hours, seeming both of them having nothing else better to do. Once in a while a cold breeze would announce Jack's arrival and Lynette would hustle away.

They knew each other so well after a while, that Pitch even invited her to his underground home. At first she was reluctant, but curiousity over came her. Pitch lead her down and they stood before his globe.

"What is that?" Lynette stared at the globe. It was all lit up and not a single place was dark (that had land), even in the places where people don't really live.

"All the children that believe." Pitch shook his head and his eyes narrowed.

"In you?"

"No," Pitch turned away from the globe. "In the Guardians." He sighed. "No children believe in me. But the Guardians sure made sure that they don't. A while ago I was all powerful and I got almost every single light on that globe to go out, except for one." His face hardened. "That one little speck, that kid, ruined anything! One believer out of a billion others that didn't believe."

Lynette felt bad for Pitch and she didn't really think that he was a bad soul. She stayed with him and soon, they got married. Sounds kinda weird eh? An immortal bad guy marrying a widow mortal. Lynette even dragged a pastor to the graveyard. The pastor thought she was out of her mind because there was no visable groom, but he went with it.

Lynette stayed with Pitch down in his underground lair and made it sustainable for her. Soon, they had a baby girl and named her Athena, after the Greek goddess because she had grey eyes. It was Lynette's idea. After all, she does study myths and legends of all kinds.

Having a baby to take care of, Pitch grew stronger and felt younger; so did Lynette.

Athena grew into a healthy girl who loved to get into trouble. That girl was me. Dad knew one day that I would meet the Guardians. I did, but not how you'd expect.

_________________

A/N: Want me to continue? Please comment!
I hate the last name Jennings so why'd I use it?! Too lazy to change it ergh.