Ch.14 You Don't Know Jack

I was stunned. "Jack?" He looked at me. "son?" I added quickly and couldn't help but blush. I was getting so confused and was pretty sure that was a new record or something. "What are you doing here? You know it's like eight thirty at night. Do you need homework?"

Jackson shook his head. "I came to speak to you."

"I gathered that." I rolled my eyes. "Because you don't know anyone else in this house. Here," I stepped back. "come on it and sit where you like."

He walked in and sat in one of the chairs and I sat in the couch across from him. "So, what did you need then?"

"I was wondering if-"

"Who's your friend, darling?"

We both whipped around to see Mom standing in the kitchen doorway. "Mom!" I exclaimed, jumping out of the seat. Mom's eyes widened at my suddenness.

"Was I interrupting something?" She shot me a look, then turned to Jackson.

"No," Jackson shook his head, even though she was, but not for the reason she thinks. (Nudge nudge, wink wink.) "I was just talking to Thea for a moment."

"Ok, and who might you be?" Mom tipped her head to the side slightly.

"Jackson Overland." He stood up and stuck his hand out to be shaken. Mom shook his hand and looked at me.

"Well," She kept looking back and forth from us with a funny look on her face. "You kids have fun." She walked upstairs. I made sure she left, before I let out a big sigh of relief.

"She seems nice." Jackson sat back down and so did I.

"Glad you think so." I muttered. Why didn't Mom react how I thought she would? Surely the name Jackson Overland would ring a loud, noisy, alarming bell in her head. Guess I should be grateful it only rang a slight bell. I could just imagine the gears turning in her head when she looked at him then me.

"Something wrong?" Jackson asked, looking at me, trying to meet my eyes.

"There always is." I looked up at him, getting lost in his ice blue eyes. I shook my head slightly and tried to concentrate. "Ok, so why are you really here?" I sat up straight and looked at him, using my gaze to make him answer.

He looked away to the side, a sign that he was nervous. "I-I," He sighed and faced me for a brief moment. "You remember in the hall? When I told you who I really was?"

"The spirit of Jackson Overland Frost, yeah." I nodded, urging him to continue.

"Well, something called me here, the Jackson Overland Frost part. It felt like a voice was yelling 'Go on over and pay Thea a visit! Don't worry, it's not stalkerish and creepy at all! She'll understand once you tell her why you're there.'" He laughed slightly and was rubbing the back of his neck. Why was he so nervous? "And it lead me here."

"Yeah, I was wondering about that." I gave a small smile. "My first thought was that Mickey gave it to you, because we both know he would, being the weirdo he is."

Jackson chuckled. "That's true." Then his face grew serious. "I don't know what it was, but I felt like I was called by MiM."

My eyes lit up. "I know what you're here for!" I rushed over to the curtains and pulled out the staff. I presented it to Jackson. "Ta-da!" I smiled broadly.

"That would make total sense." He smiled back and took the staff. "I guess that was what I was being called over for. Thanks." He stood up and headed for the door.