Ch.9 I'm in Trouble Now

A/N: This chappie is probably longer than the others. It's a treat from me for not updating because I was on vacation and couldn't do much with any of this >. My vacation was good ;D

Ch.9 I'm in Trouble Now

"What?" Dad practically shouted in my face. "Where? Are they gone?" I backed away from him, a little scared.

"Who's gone?" Isaac walked into the door hallway, looking confused. He was holding a slice of pizza.

"The Guardians!" Dad snapped a little more harshly than intended. Isaac flinched and nearly dropped his pizza on the floor. "Alright, let's move into the lair for now. Once they realize you're not with them, they'll come speeding back." He ushered us to the downstairs basement.

"Wait!" Isaac zoomed off towards the kitchen. "Let me finish my pizza!" He started to grab the pizza back.

"Alright," Dad waved his hand urgently towards the basement door. "Just go! I'll get your mother." He walked quickly out of the kitchen.

I grabbed my brother's arm and swung him towards the door. "Hey! Watch it Thea!" He gave me a look. "I got pizza here!" He jiggled the box a little and I could hear some of the pizza slices rattling inside as if to make a point.

"Cool story bro," I opened the door and pushed him down. "Go inside." I closed the door as Isaac went flying down the steps, practically spilling the pizza all over. I followed him and found that he was laying on one of the couches, munching away on pizza. "Can you get the door?" He smacked his lips together as he chewed.

"Lazy." I grumbled as I walked to another room. It was about the size of a closet. When I was on the other side of the small space, I reached out my hand and touched the cold, hard stone wall. The wall started glowing around my hand and formed an outline. I pulled my hand back and watched as a door appeared. It looked like a regular door, except that it was made out of black sand. I reached right next to the door nob and my hand disappeared into the wall. Not really. It's just an illusion that makes it look like it.

I grabbed the key and brought my hand out. The ket looked like a bunch of twisty branches intwined together; like nature itself made it. I shrugged and stuck the key into the keyhole. I turned the key and the door made a little click. I pushed it open as Dad, Mom and Isaac came up behind me. We all ran in, which happened to be down, down, down, down and down. Yeah, the lair is pretty big and high up to.

After walking (mostly dragging) ourselves down the last steps, we finally entered the entrance to the lair. "I always forget how big this is." I gazed up to see the many cages hanging from the ceiling. There was the glow of torches around the lair since there was no light and we couldn't wire it with electricity for fear of someone discovering who we really are. I grabbed a torch and started walking along the narrow stairs.

"I'll meet you up there." Dad vanished and went shadow traveling. Black sand materialized where Dad was and zipped up towards the ceiling where all the thick, heavy chains were supporting the cages.

I started walking up with Isaac. "Hey, where's Mom?" Isaac tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see that Mom was no longer following us.

"She probably took another way up." I shrugged.

"If she took an elevator and didn't tell us..." Isaac left his threat float in the air. Instead he said, "I wish we had powers. Like Dad." He kicked at the ground. "I hate being a dumb mortal."

"You're not a dumb mortal." I glanced back at him. "You're a smart one. Being a mortal isn't all that bad. Most of earth is covered with mortals."

"On the surface, yeah." Isaac grumbled. "But what about the sky? The dark depths of the ocean? Space even? What about those places?"