Weed Brings Out Feelings

"So Rafe killed Peterkin and took Sarah?" Bailee was fuming, JJ having to hold her down again on his lap.

They had been in Pope's truck with the seats down for hours but were just now pulling up to the police station because John B knew he had to tell someone what happened. Bailee was laying on top of JJ as his arms snaked around her middle and rested on her back.

"That about sums it up, yeah," Pope said offhand. He took another hit of a cigarette, already having gone through two beforehand

Just as Kie pulled in, JJ spoke up. "John B, what are we doing at the police station?"

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened." Kie took the keys out of the engine as Pope began to cough violently from inhaling too much.

"Slow down there, chief," JJ said, making no effort to move from his position with his eyes closed and Bailee curled up on top of him until John B moved his head to look at the floor. "All right, I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you never go there on purpose."

"You're basically holding your wrists out for them to handcuff, Booker," Bailee muttered as she moved closer into JJ's chest. "I'm sorry to tell you this, but Ward has enough money to bribe the entire police department in OBX."

"What was that thing that your cousin always told you, Bails?"

"To never trust the cops when you're bidding against someone with a higher pay grade."

"Your cousin is in jail." Kie scoffed at Bailee and JJ's statements before Pope spoke up.

"I agree with JJ. Fuck the police."

Bailee whooped softly but the day's events were getting to her. She hadn't had one ounce of coffee, even though she usually has two cups.

"Peterkin looked out of me, okay?"

"John B, she looked out for the compass." Bailee sighed, trying not to hurt her friend's feelings without him being sentenced a lifetime in prison for the murder of a sheriff. It was too late when the words came out of her mouth, John B already having walked into the building with bloody hands.

"He's gonna fuckin' die one of these days." She grumbled and felt JJ's chest vibrate from the chuckle he let out, making her smile.

Bailee had almost dozed off to the sounds of crickets when John B ran into the car, screaming.

"Start the car! Start the car!" He was being chased by two deputies as he opened and closed the car door while Kie stepped on the gas frantically.

The whole van shook forwards as she stepped on it, but the cop was still running with the car with her hand on the wheel while everyone began to freak out. Bailee groaned loudly at being awoken and began to get very pissed off at the panic.

"Can yall shut up?" Bailee moved off of her spot on JJ and reached over John B's seat, pulling the handle and opening the door as it slammed in the deputy's face and pushed her off the car. She slammed the door closed and went back to laying on JJ, not noticing everyone's faces as they drove off.

They found a small place to park in an abandoned trailer site and stopped the car, John B's hands still coated with blood. The engine came to a stop and no one spoke for a few minutes, taking in what was happening.

Bailee was leaning against JJ, her mind racing with thoughts of what's going to happen to Sarah, and in return John B, as JJ pressed lazy kisses on her shoulder. JJ hadn't fully processed yet, instead just laying down and staring at the van's metal top with all of their names signed on it.