Angel

"What do you want your future to be in five years?"

Bailee dangled her feet off of her roof with JJ by her side. The lit-up pool beneath their feet a story down made the night glow in water patterns.

JJ turned to Bailee when she asked the question. It had been quiet after they dropped Kie and Pope off, grabbing a small bottle of tequila and going up to the roof.

JJ and Bailee's shoes had been taken off when they got into the house, along with their shirts. The two had created a rule when they first started hanging out. 'No shirt, no shoes, always service.'

Whenever they were on the roof, they had ended up drinking too much and taking their shirts off. It had just become something they did now, sitting on the smaller side of the tall house with their shirts and shoes off.

"Five years? Away from this island with you- even if we don't get the gold. We'll run away to somewhere without our guardians, without Kooks. It'll be just us." JJ stared into Bailee's eyes, which had landed on his face while he talked.

"What about the Pogues? Don't you want to stay with them?" Bailee questioned, to which JJ shrugged.

"I'll always be a Pogue, no matter where I am. Pope will go off to college, Kie will become a rich socialist, John B will either be gone with child services or, by your standards, married to Sarah. It's just us." JJ looked down at the pool and took a small sip of the bottle. "I want us to all stay together, obviously, but I don't know if it'll happen."

Bailee leaned onto JJ's shoulder and looked up at him. "They're your best friends, J. The memories will always be there. I'm not talking about the Pogues, I'm talking about you. You're never selfish. Just- just think about you for once. What do you want?"

JJ looked down at Bailee, studying her face before answering. "I want to go to California. I'll be a pro surfer and own a surf shack on the beach. You can go to college and become a Marine Biologist like you want, and we'll be together." He paused for a second and took a deep breath.

"To be honest, like... completely honest. I want to be with you. We can have the small house away from our families, have the kids we talked about, sit out on the ocean, and live. No Pogue vs Kook, no guns, no unstable families. I just want you." JJ looked down, not meeting Bailee's eyes. "I've been crazy in love with you for, like, forever. Future to me seems stupid without you."

Bailee smiled and placed her hand on JJ's, toying with his ring. When he didn't look up, she spoke. "We'll catch fish in the morning and take our kids to school. I'll make the chocolate pancakes we love and watch the ocean waves. We can go to drive-in movies and beat each other in Mario Kart. You and I can teach 'em how to surf and swim."

JJ looked up slowly when she continued his dream. He expected her to leave or laugh at him for what he wanted, but she stayed.

Bailee's smile widened when JJ's did. "J, you're the only person for me. I didn't realize how in love with you I was until what I thought was too fuckin' late. You've been there constantly, and even though I sound like a rom-com movie, my future is your future."

JJ leaned in, eyes fluttering closed. He kissed her softly, pouring every ounce of love he had into it. Bailee cupped his jaw and did the exact same. Even after they broke the kiss, they stayed there. Bailee's hands kept on JJ's jaw and his hand stayed on her knee with their labored breaths and foreheads pressed together.

"What are we, J?" Bailee asked quietly, barely being heard over the pool below them.

"We're us," JJ answered, earning another kiss. Bailee pulled away quickly and rested her forehead on his. She laughed and looked to JJ's confused face in front of her.