ICU

The rest of the night was a blur for Bailee. Sirens, gurneys, and cold hospitals flashed through her mind when she woke up wrapped under JJ's arm in the Chateau on the pullout. The sun streaked through the windows and a small bird was chirping outside of the window.

Bailee looked around to readjust her vision fully before plopping back down on the worn-out mattress. Tears were dried on her face from last night, which she ignored as she moved closer to JJ.

"You're finally awake," JJ whispered, causing Bailee to jump slightly. "They kicked us out of the hospital last night because we aren't family, plus I didn't want to deal with cops... I was going to ask if you wanted to go back when you woke up, but now that you are it's up to you."

Bailee sighed contently as JJ's heartbeat pressed against her ear and his breath tickled her neck. She stayed like that for a short minute before looking up at JJ with wide eyes.

"I say we see if John B's okay. I bet Sarah's still there, too, and I should probably check on her. Having her boyfriend pushes her love interest off a railing has gotta do something to your mind." Bailee said as she resisted a yawn, which JJ thought made her look like a kitten.

"C'mon, sleepyhead. We can get you coffee at The Wreck or the hospital after we check up on John B's state." JJ sat up in the bed as Bailee groaned.

She sat up next to JJ and gave him a small kiss on the cheek.

"Let me brush my teeth and put a change of clothes on that isn't my dress," Bailee called to JJ as she walked out of the living room and towards the porch.

She quickly used the toothbrush she had left there for when she stayed over, slipping off her dress and replacing it with JJ's shirt, ripped jean shorts, high tops, and her arm of bracelets.

When she walked out of the Chateau, JJ was already in the driver's seat. She hopped into the passenger's side quickly and pulled on the seat belt hanging from the side. The engine started and JJ pulled out of the grass the car was parked on.

"Do you think he's awake yet?"

"I don't know, JJ. We don't even know what happened to him yet since I remember them not letting us in and us dropping before the police arrived. I bet they'll know by the time we get there, though." Bailee shrugged, putting her arm on the center console.

"I'm just nervous, I guess. What if he doesn't make it out? It's a three-story drop. He could be in a coma, or he could just not wake up. What if he's got brain damage or-"

"JJ." Bailee softly leaned over the center and put her hand on JJ's shoulder. They were stopped at a red light, so he looked over to her as panic bubbled up in his chest. "He's gonna be okay. It's John B, right? He could live through anything, especially with the motivation of a good treasure hunt."

JJ placed his larger hand over her as he made a right hand turn when the light changed, laughing slightly. "You're right. They call us cockroaches, but John B can get out of anything."

"Exactly. Nothin' to be scared of, J." Bailee laced her fingers in between his and squeezed JJ's hand quickly.

The rest of the ride was filled with comfortable silence and occasional glances each threw towards the other, along with the punch buggy JJ had given Bailee. When JJ pulled up to the hospital, he looked to Bailee.

"Do you know where he is?"

Bailee thought about her response for a moment before saying anything. "Since he's most likely not discharged because of how bad his fall was, I'm not saying he's in a coma or deadly hurt," Bailee added quickly, "I'd say he's in the ICU. Turn here and then make a left."