*Bonus Scene*

Song: Mansion by NF

"You have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light" ~ Unknown

Zander's POV

"So what's really going on with you and 'Lala' hmm"? Garret asked me, taking a sip from his new bottle of water that was now probably lukewarm, from sitting in his car for so long. I glanced at him, an uneasy feeling settling in my stomach. I didn't like it when anyone else called her that. But I ignored it as best as I could. When I made no sound to respond, he scoffed. "We're seriously sitting on the side of the road waiting for her to come outside, man. You can't tell me that's not borderline psychotic. You bangin' her or something?" I shot him a sharp glare. Bastard sometimes didn't know when to shut up.

"No," my voice was lethal. Why did everyone think that? I honestly just wanted to make sure she was sticking to our agreement- not smoking I mean. It was none of my damn business and I know it wasn't. But my Lala already went through hell. She already suffered enough, I just couldn't understand why she would want to put herself through potential life long damage because she couldn't quit smoking. I don't know why it bugged me so much, though.

"Then what?" Garret really looked at me then, his eyes a swarm of curiosity. I hadn't known Garret for very long. But as soon as I moved here we seemed to hit it off. Much like when I was not so subtly watching Lala fight, he was watching me embarrass myself in the gym. But unlike watching her kick the bag's ass, Garret was watching me struggle to move the damn bag with a single punch. I'd been in my fair share of fights growing up. But I never normally hit a hundred-pound object full of nothing but weight. Garret decided to give me some pointer and in no time punching the bag without enough force to move it back seemed like second nature. He was a chill guy, but nosy and judgmental as hell when it came to those who seemed to get things handed to them on a silver platter. I cracked a smug smile when I remembered the beating Lala gave him for such assumptions. Yeah, she was pretty great.

"You wouldn't understand," I settled, getting comfortable in my seat once again. I didn't want to have to explain myself to him. Layla was just... special. I couldn't quite place my finger on how I truly felt about her. But ever since the day I saw her on her front porch through my window, smoking a cigarette with that faraway distant look in her eye, something caught my attention. Thinking back on it, I'm glad she never saw me that morning- I probably did look like a stalker. But ever since then, I wanted to meet the girl with those painful eyes.

Garret scoffed next to me. "Yeah, alright. What is she, some fling you're thinking about or something? Because I gotta say, you still just only moved here and Layla's only been here like two years. She's never even looked at another guy here. I don't even think she knows what sex is. Be careful, man. That's all I'm saying." I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone more then in that moment. But just as I was about to smack the shit out of him for talking about Layla like that, a shadow caught my eye.

"What the hell is that?" I squinted, looking at the shadow hiding behind a cluster of trees a few yards away. From the way we were parked, we were able to get a good look at the front of the gym from the side street, while also being able to see the woods.

Garret moved forward, squinting as well. "More like who the hell is that? Is that a fucking person? Stalking the front entrance of the gym? Fucking sickos." Garret seethed, suddenly gripping the wheel.

"Wait man," I urged, watching the front doors of the gym open. Layla walked out, looking refreshed and on edge. I noticed her gaze wander around, looking for her car probably. Then, her gaze seemed to lock on the same shadow as us. The person was still hiding, his body angled directly towards her. I almost went mad with rage then and there. "I don't know who he is, but if he doesn't fucking move soon I'm taking a walk over there myself." My hands went to the handle of the door immediately. Waiting, silently tempting this fucker to do something so I could slam his face into the pavement of the road.

"Calm down Romeo, he's leaving." Garret rolled his eyes, but I didn't care. I wanted to protect my Lala from anything that might hurt her. Ever since the night when she helped my sorry ass into my house and helped me, I made a silent vow to protect her at all cost. She was a spitfire when she needed to be, and I was in no way trying to fight her battles for her. But Lala was a sweet angel who deserved more in this shitty life.

I wanted to see a real smile on her face. I wanted to hear real laughs from her lips. I wanted her to be the best version of herself. And I wanted to see it all before the end of the year. I'm not sure what really happened to make her this way, but I'll be damned if I don't at least try and see to it she opens up a little more this year.

"For real man, what has you wrapped around her already? You haven't even been here that long and it's like you're already trying to plan a wedding with the girl." Garret was so dramatic with his words.

After seeing to it that the random guy from the woods really was gone, I wanted until Layla drove away from the parking lot, down the opposite side we were parked- back to the comforts of her home. Safe.

I decided to give him somewhat of an answer. "She reminds me of this girl I used to know back in Georgia."

"I still think it's a little weird you two are from the same state. You sure she's not the actual girl you knew?" He raised an eyebrow at me, and I shook my head.

"Definitely not. Because the girl I knew back in Georgia is dead. Suicide." My words were flat, void of any possible emotion. Even though it was killing me to think about on the inside. The two were so damn alike. The raw pain in their eyes was so prominent. I couldn't help the girl back home, but I could help Layla before it was too late.

I know I could.

Garret nodded his head. Silence stretched on before us, before I decided to put him out of his guilty conscience.

"It's fine, man. Come on,I'm fucking starving. We gettin' pizza or not?" I tried to joke, nudging him. He didn't need to feel guilty, but he did need to respect my boundaries.

He nodded, shifting into gear. "Alright, let's get some pizza so we can feed your moody ass." He cracked a smile, and I was just glad we were back to normal. Going into sob stories wasn't really my thing.

As we headed to the place Garret was talking about, I only hoped Lala would change her mind tonight. I wanted her to come out with us and have a fun night.

Really, I just wanted her near me so I could keep an eye on her. The guy from moments ago making my stomach feel sick and my nerves on high alert.

I wouldn't let anything happen to her again.