Chapter 18

Song: Idon'twannabeyouanymore by Billie Eilish 

"You carry so much love in your heart, give some to yourself" ~ r.z 

Kate Withers was not normal. One moment, she's crying in a bathroom stall, pouring her absolute heart out to me. Then, here she is, a bright smile on her face, books clutched in her hand, right in front of me. It seemed as if no traces of tears had ever slid down her skin. The pain that haunted her eyes seemed to disappear. Kate looked like the girl I always remembered before yesterday.

I brushed a hair behind my ear, staring skeptically at her. For a moment, I thought of asking her about yesterday. A part of me just felt like this was all too surreal. There was just no way this was the same Kate that sat next to me sobbing like she was losing her insanity- losing herself. But instead of going through with my thoughts and confronting her on the, I decided against. We all had our demons. We all had skeletons hiding in the closet that we were all too ashamed to reveal. But Kate revealed her's, and asking her about the situation further seemed too much to ask of her. I granted myself special she confided me in to start off with. So I did what she probably wanted me to do: forget it ever happened.

"I didn't see your car out front" I paused, grinning lightly, " thought the ever so punctual Kate Withers was ditching," I teased, feeling a weight lift from my shoulders at her own smile of relief.

"I walked here, actually," she hugged her books to her chest, a pained look still hidden in the depths of her irises, but it was obvious she was appreciative of my not bringing up yesterday. I would act like nothing ever happened. I would treat her no different, but deep down inside, my respect for the "it" girl of the school bloomed.

I quirked an eyebrow at her, shutting my locker with a slam. "You could've asked me, I'm sure I could've given you a ride." I admitted. We walked in step with one another, even though her class was on the opposite side of the building.

She shrugged, avoiding my side glance at her silence. "I needed to clear my head. Besides, then I would've been third wheeling you and Zander's time," she wiggled her eyebrows, bumping my lightly. I couldn't help but to smile, a small blush feeling its way creeping onto my cheeks. But I played it off.

"He was just being friendly. It saves on gas since we are right across from each other." I attempted to reason with both her and myself. I couldn't actually tell what the motive was with Zander, but I was hoping it was genuine. I needed it to be genuine. Even if things don't escalate between us, it almost seems as if he can turn into someone important in my life soon. And that terrified me. Even friends have power. They have the ability to break you just as much as a lover. Friends learn your secrets. They're exposed to your personality. They learn all the fun little quirks about you. But there is a toxic trait in everyone. And as soon your friend figures out yours, the games have changed. They decide you're not worth their time anymore. They have the power to break you before you even hit the ground from the fall. And the worst part of all, the hit is always unexpected.

We stop at the doorway of my first class. Kate nods her head at me, still grinning. "Sure 'Lala'," she emphasizes the very name that sounds off coming from anyone but Zander. I don't comment, rolling my eyes instead. I can't help the grin that once again decides to make an appearance on my face. This seems like the most I've smiled in years. "Thanks, Layla. I really mean it." She smiles at me, and this time I can see her eyes glisten just the slightest. She looks almost as shocked as me when someone does something simply out of the kindness of their hearts. I don't expect anything from Kate, but this does remind me of something I wanted to ask her.

Right as I go to ask, the warning bell rings, signally we have five minutes to get to class and suddenly everyone is hurrying through the halls like they're on their own personal missions.