Prologue

Layla Adams^

Song: Broken Girl by Mathew West

NOT EDITED

"Mommy? Daddy? Don't you know you lost your daughter years ago?" ~Unknown

Wonderful cover made by TinBrin

The first thing I noticed was the cool wind tickling at my skin, sending goosebumps all over my body. The second thing I noticed was the pain that came with finally awaking. Oh, it was agonizing. Pain blistered up and down my entire body. It was spiraling to each and every curve and crevice of myself. My eyes snapped open but I immediately regretted it. A feeling of discomfort and sharp needles pierced through my skull.

Closing my eyes again to keep in a few steady breaths, I tried once more. This time, I was successful. I could keep my eyes open for longer than a few seconds.

I moved, trying to get up. But it served to be pointless as a strangled yelp left my lips. Pain exploded everywhere. But I noticed where the pain was at the most.

Suddenly, it felt like I couldn't breathe. There was a giant brick sitting on me, closing in on me; depriving me of oxygen. I risked a glanced down at myself and this time, there was nothing holding back the tears at what my eyes saw. My body was bruised and battered. Scratches and blood marred every inch of my skin. The sparkly black dress I was wearing was bunched up around my waist, my lower regions exposed and vulnerable to the cold air.

Sparing a glance to my side, I erupted in sobs when I saw the remains of my underwear. They were ripped to shreds. The pieces of cloth marked with blood and other dirty substances.

Was I... was I raped?

No. No that couldn't be. I went out with a few friends but I don't remember leaving with anybody. I certainly don't remember drinking enough to get blackout drunk but I must have because I couldn't remember a damned thing.

I inched my head to the side, relieved to find my purse on the ground. Getting to it served to be a greater task than I originally thought. As soon as I moved, my body jolted, pain simmering through my veins. When I finally got to my purse, my tears had dried but my blood ran colder than I ever thought possible when I looked at the content in my purse.

My phone was in there, almost dead. But what had my bones chilling to the core was the note that also fell out of my purse- proving my own dreaded thoughts to be true.

'We had fun, princess. Maybe we can have another go at it soon? Remember, you asked for it. Girls like you don't get raped. They only get what they secretly desired. Be a good girl and keep quiet'
~ S.

We?

I jolted awake, my body screaming in protest at the sudden movement. Glancing at the alarm clock, I groaned into my bed sheets. It was just past three in the morning and I really thought I deprived myself of sleep the past few days, that tonight I could fall into a dreamless pit of wonder.

Of course not. No, that would be much too nice, right?

I thought dryly.

Instead of trying to go back to sleep and experience that dreadful night again, I got up out of bed. I combed through my frizzy blonde locks lazily before jumping into my slippers and snatching my pack of cigarettes from under my pillow.

Slowly, almost like some ninja out of one of those horrible action movies, I inched my way down the stairs. Careful not to step on the ones I knew would creak under my weight. My parents light snoring sounded through the house and I rolled my eyes. They claimed they never snored but they were the main cause of my many sleepless nights.