Chapter 9:

Song: Lovely by Billie Eilish 

"Damaged people are dangerous. They know how to make Hell feel like home" ~ Unknown 

NOT EDITED

I'm not a naturally awkward person. I'm really not. I just prefer being silent in most situations I find myself in to avoid confrontation and conversation. Normally, I wouldn't have to worry about talking but as I find myself seated at the dinner table clothed in the skinny jeans Kate found and a simple grey t-shirt, looking down at my food untouched, I felt awkward.

I didn't dare look up.

The Collins got here about fifteen minutes ago.

Three people showed up. One of them I immediately recognized as Zander. He looked uncomfortable as ever when I opened the front door to let them in. He was wearing his hood so it shadowed his face from the bruises that covered his face. His hands were twisting together nervously. Next to him was an older boy I assumed to be the older brother he told me about. And standing just a head beneath the oldest brother, was a woman that looked to be in her early forties. She was wearing a tight-lipped smile while her hands were folded neatly together in front of her. A short red dress framed her thin but slightly pudgy frame and her chocolate brown eyes flitted with nervousness.

While the woman did bore similarities between the two, there was doubt lingering in the back of my mind, Zander's words still coming back to me. He told us his parents were dead. He told us he moved here with his older brother. He never mentioned a woman.

My mother was frantic around the house. She set the dinner table in record time with plates and utensils and even some fancy napkins I had no idea we had. Even my father was here. He sat at the head of the table, overlooking the rest of us, while my mother sat to his right. Next to my mother was the older woman. Across the table, Zander sat next to me, and his older brother sat next to him.

For the first few minutes of the dinner, things were silent. The only noise coming from the utensils scraping together across the plates to cut into the juicy sirloin my mother so graciously cooked.

I was the only one who wasn't eating. I sat with my fork in my hand, lazily moving around the green beans on my plate and a bored expression masking my face.

Finally, the silence was broken.

"So, how are you and your sons liking Virginia so far?" My mother said with a polite smile.

"She's not our mother." Zander's brother all but growled out, making my movements stiffen. I turned my head just the slightest, calming down my racing heart. I did not like the tone of his voice. Neither did my father and if he had any consolation at all he'd be sure to not speak like that. Especially around elders. My father was a big stickler for respecting elders.

He used to threaten to whip me if I ever disrespected him at all.

Which, he never did, considering I embarrassed him every time I went out and disobeyed his every word. I still don't agree with the whole "respect your elders" saying. I mean, to give respect, one must earn it, right? Your elders will teach you what is right and what is wrong. They'll teach you morals and unlawful things. But God forbid, if you ever disrespect or not listen to your elders, you'll burn in the pits of Hell forever.

No. I don't agree with that. I won't just blindly give someone my respect if all they're going to do is treat me like gum beneath the bottom of their shoe.

My mother's voice wavered. "Oh. I'm - I'm sorry. I just thought-"

"Please don't apologize. I'm their aunt. I have legal custody over Zander here until he graduates. Adrian is..."