A Day At The Cove: Part 2

Hiccup's P.O.V.

"Are you two lovebirds hungry?"

I look back to see my mother looking at us with a smile on her face. Astrid and I both blush, even though we've heard this phase a couple times before. Though, I don't think either of us are used to it yet.

I glance over to Astrid and watch her smile to the idea of food. Smiling, I get up and hold out my hand for Astrid. She takes it and allows me to pull her up to her feet. I kiss her on the forehead before walking toward my family sitting around a picnic blanket. We both take a seat next to them and join in on the meal my mother packed for us.

A mixture of sandwiches, strawberries, grapes, salads, and even cookies for dessert are spread before us. We each take what we want and start nibbling. As I munch on my sandwich, I watch as Astrid keeps reaching for the strawberries. She'll grab a few and eat them before wanting to reach for more.

We all chuckle as we watch her. "Go ahead and take them all sweetie. You don't need to save them for us."

Astrid looks up to my mother. "Are you sure?" She asks. "I don't want to take them all if others want some."

"Oh don't worry. The only other person that eats them is Hope." She confirms.

"Really?" Astrid takes a glance at Hope and watches as she nods in agreement.

"Yup! No one else seems to like them very much." Hope takes a bite of a strawberry on her plate.

Astrid looks over to me curiously. "Do you like strawberries?"

I shrug. "I don't mind them but I personally don't like the feeling of them on my tongue."

"Seriously?" She looks to me in disbelief. "But they are so good!"

I smile. "I bet they are. I just don't like them as much as you do. So, if you want to split the strawberries with Hope, go ahead."

She looks to all of us for a moment and then nods. "Alright."

I lean over and kiss her cheek and watch a small smile forms on her face. She grabs some more strawberries and continues to eat them. The bunch is split with Hope and they each about half of the strawberries. Once our lunch is done, all the strawberries are gone.

Astrid helps my mother clean up as I sit next to my father. I look at the view and think about how wonderful this place can be. Ideas flood through my mind as I think of the different ways I can end up using this space. As long as Astrid and I stay together, all those ideas could come true. Something I personally would like to happen.

"What's on your mind son?"

I feel my father's hand fall against my shoulder. I look back to him to see him looking at me. I look to him and then ahead, staying quiet for a couple of moments.

"Life."

"What about life?" He asks.

"Well," I start, "for starters, my future. My career. What's going to happen if something happens."

"Those are all interesting thoughts. But the ones that should matter are our current moments." I glance over to see him looking at the water ahead. "Life is going to change as we grow older. Families will grow and careers may change. Even relationships may change, either for better or for worse."

I look at him for a moment. His gaze remains ahead as he speaks, not even bothering to take a look in my direction. I soon follow his gaze toward the rippling water. I think about his words and how I don't want my life to change for the worst, but for the better.