Chapter 17

It wasn't okay.

Nothing was fine, and we all knew deep down that we wouldn't be fine for quite some time after this.

It started off with a gunshot. A sound that I hadn't heard since...well since the night that changed my life.

Then there was the second most horrifying noise which really shouldn't have been scary at all-under different situations of course.

Laughter.

The laughing ranged from low chuckles to high pitched cackles that really shouldn't have been as deafening as they were. But seeing as they were all coming from outside the window, being inside of the house left us feeling trapped as if we we're in some kind of horror movie, and the killers were outside to get us.

Which actually wasn't so far from the truth, all things considered.

As fast as lightning, Tom hopped up from where he sat on the floor and rushed over to his backpack to reveal a black AK-47.

Despite the commotion outside, everyone turned to look at him in shock.

''What?'' He asks, loading the gun with bullets. ''You gotta be prepared at all times.'' Is the simple response.

I throw Misty a quizzical look, but she simply shrugs and Connor digs in his pocket and pulls out-

Oh, how nice, its a little pocket knife.

''For christs-sake people!'' I shout as Misty runs to the kitchen to retrieve one of her many knives out of the rack.

I grab one of Misty Dads' golf clubs nonetheless.

Everyone stares at me.

''Hey! I'm not the one who pulled a gun out of their friggin backpack!''

''Touche.'' Tom winks.

''Okay, enough flirting. We have to set up a plan for when they attack.'' Connor says.

''I gotta plan- ''

''If you say 'attack', so help me God....''

I roll my eyes. ''No. I was going to say we should spread out all over the house.''

''Good idea.'' Misty says with a smile that makes her look really creepy seeing as she's holding this huge knife.

Tom and Connor nod in agreement.

I grin. ''Then I was going to say 'attack' of course.''

~

We only had about 2 minutes to spread out across the house before a window was shattered, and glass flew across the floor.

Almost in slow motion, two guys in full black with grey masks hopped inside, and the first one immediately attacked Connor seeing as he was closest to the window, while the other went for Misty.

My eyes quickly darted to Misty who wasn't using the knife on her attacker-thank god-but she was handling him pretty well seeing as she was the one who had him in a choke hold.

I was torn from that fight when I saw another one occurring by the broken window. It was a terrifying thing watching Connor and one of those guys fight on broken glass and my breath hitched when I saw the guy knock Connor on the ground before seething the words ''Miss us, you freak?''

Then it made sense, but left me confused at the same time.

These must have been the guys who attacked Connor at school all those days before we really knew him. I am confused because we're all certain these dudes were the ones who attacked Lily as well-but why would they do that if she's one of them?