Chapter 14

''Not surprised.''

I turn to Misty in shock. ''Not surprised?''

''Nope.'' She says, crossing her arms over her chest. ''If I was ever asked anything about the break in at your house, she would definitely be my first suspect. I don't know what it is, but there's just something suspicious about her.''

''Wow.'' I breathe. ''And to think you were just being mean all this time.''

''Jerk!'' Misty shouts, sticking her tounge out at me.

''Bitch.'' I joke with a wink.

''Hey, hey guys. Don't get me wrong- love these sisterly arguments, but I think there's a bigger situation at hand.''

''Yeah, don't worry I certainly haven't forgot.'' I sigh. ''Im just trying not to think about it. I knew Lily and I weren't exactly besties, but seriously-how could she?''

Misty shakes her head.

''Im really lost right now.'' I confess. ''Was it something I did? Was it something I didn't do?''

''No-'' Misty and Connor say at the same time, causing them to look at each other for a moment before Connor allows Misty to take the lead.

''No, Rose. Don't blame yourself for this. Lilys just a jealous freak, that obviously wants to be noticed in any way possible. Even if its for all the wrong reasons.''

I nod. That's kind of harsh, but some of it is true. ''But how do you even know she's telling the truth? Any evidence?''

Connor nods slightly at that. ''Well, we don't have any hardcore evidence just yet, but we can tell you that there has been enough reports of a female companion hanging with the 'break-in guys' for the cops to go on.''

I run a hand over my face. ''Gosh, this is all messed up.''

Misty wraps an arm around me. ''It'll be alright, Rosie. I promise you, the detectives will find out what truly happened that night, and we'll bring you to justice.''

I wrap my arms around my friend like wise, and just barely resists the urge to cry into her sweater. What could I have done to deserve a friend as awesome as Sierra?

''Thanks babe.''

''Anytime Rose, really.'' She smiles sincerely, taking Connors hand as well.

~

I was laying in Misty's bed when I heard a knock on the front door.

''Ugh.'' I groan getting out of bed. Misty and Connor went to the park, leaving me to my own devices, and now im all alone at her house and feeling quite lazy.

I hop down the stairs as the knocking becomes persistent.

Someones impatient...

Peeking out the peep hole I am immediately eye to eye with illuminous grey eyes.

I open the door.

''What are you- ''

A hand covers my mouth before I can utter another syllable, and my eyes widen.

''Tom, how did you-'' I try to ask properly, but it comes out muffled more than anything.

''Shh.'' Tom speaks in a hushed whisper as he practically slams the door and pushes me against the wall.

''Mmph?'' I mumble against his palm.

''Alright, ima let you speak, but promise me, you won't scream.''

He slowly takes his hand off my mouth.

''Why-why would I scream?'' I stutter. Now i'm nervous.