Chapter 9

''What?''

''Don't 'what' me. You know exactly what im taking about.''

Tom stares at me with a look that I can't quite place my finger on, but I don't shyly drift my gaze to my shoes like last time, instead I make sure to stare back into those grey eyes. I am determined to find out why he always teases me, and if it means starting with this little question then so be it.

He turns away from me for a split second, then turns back with a sigh. ''Just meet me in the library at lunch.''

''Okay.'' I agree, nodding as if eating lunch in the media center with Tom Harrison the jerk is an everyday thing. ''You better not bail either.''

He smirks-back to old ways I see?- and replies ''Me bailing? Eh, No. You freaking out last minute? Probably.''

''Idiota.''

''What?''

It's my turn to smirk now. ''Oh nothing.''

~

I arrive at lunch and immediately begin heading towards our table. I have to tell Misty that im not going to be at lunch before she goes all batshit crazy on me.

Which she totally would.

Sliding into an empty seat, I smile as I see Misty get here at the same time. She only looks oddly at me. ''You're early.''

I nod. ''Yeah, about that-im gonna be eating in the library today.''

''Why?'' She asks.

Now here's a dilemma. Im not sure if I should tell Misty that im going to be hanging out with Tom. I know she's my best friend and all, but I dont want her to start assuming things.''Oh, I just have some studying to catch up on.''

''Okay.'' She smiles ''Study a bit for me too, because you know me and books do not get along.''

I let out a laugh. ''I will.'' Then im on my way to the library.

Oh Jesus I wonder what's going to happen.

I am nearly out of the cafeteria when that same green-haired guy approaches me.

''Hello.''

''Umm hey. Do I know you?''

''Maybe you do.''

What? ''What do you mean by that?''

There is a tense moment of silence and I suddenly began to feel uncomfortable in his presence, but then he smiles.

''Im just screwing with you. I don't think we've officially meet either-minus a couple of words here and there about how much the school pizza tastes like shit- but anywho, im Connor.''

I takes his outstretched hand in my own, and shake it hesitantly. ''Rose.''

He smiles again, then releases my hand. ''Cool.''

Okay.....

''Well, I have to get going.''

''Alright see ya around Rose.'' He says then walks away.

And I say again: Okay....

~

I look around the library, my eyes searching for a cocky brown-haired boy until I find him. Sitting near a window-which is not a bad spot, now that I think about it.

''Wow!'' Tom yells spotting me, and I bite my tongue as the library lady shushes him. ''I can't believe you actually showed up.''

''Yeah, yeah. Very funny.'' I say with an eye roll, taking a seat next to him.