20. Her Banana Ice-Cream

TYLER'S POV

Summer. There was something weird about them. For as long as I could remember, they never seemed to come soon enough. And once they started, they never lasted long enough. It was peculiar how much we loved them. They weren't like the soft breeze of spring, or the falling leaves of autumn, or the chilly fog of the winter. Summers were hot. And only getting hotter each year.

Perhaps, in some way, we were conditioned to love them. It was our only time away from the cramped hallways of the school. A break from the maddening cycle of school and homework and back to school. Getting tanned under the blazing sun, slathering on layers of sunscreen, dancing until we glistened with sweat, and getting wasted on the sweet chilled beer...Who cared for the temperature when there were sugary drinks and chlorine-filled swimming pools to enjoy?

After toiling away days and nights to arrange for this trip, we were finally on our way to the place that summers were made for. Beaches.

The K-pop song blasting in my ears finally ended and I hummed along with its catchy beats as I removed my earphones. Instantly, the rush of overlapping conversations, loud laughter, and the rumble of the bus engine assaulted my ears. The bus bumped over a series of speed-breakers and all of us rattled in our seats. It just made the chatter even louder as everyone tried to speak over the noise.

Next to me, Brandon opened a bag of chips, took out an absurd amount into his hands, and passed me the bag. He turned back to talk to Seth who was sitting on the adjacent seat. They devoured the chips in a matter of seconds. Seth caught me looking at them and inched an eyebrow up in question. I quickly shook my head and looked away.

Before the half dozen chips left in the bag were stolen, I stuffed them into my mouth. The sweet and spicy jalapeno flavor spread over my tongue. I closed my eyes and savored it. Even though it was processed food, the combination of spices was lethally good. The salty tangy taste made me crave for cream cheese. If the two were added...the smooth texture of the cream cheese would compliment the spiciness of jalapeno. And spreading the mixture onto a well-toasted sesame bagel...

No. I had to stop. My stomach growled and I quickly covered it with my hand. At least with the noise on the bus, no one would have heard this. I distracted myself before I got hungrier and focused on the passing scenery.

A gust of wind ruffled my hair and I tasted the saltiness of the sea at the back of my tongue. The weather was perfect. Clear blue sky with a cool sea breeze. The wide roads lined with palm trees instantly lifted my spirits. Some distance away, I spotted a patch of sand that led to the beach. We were almost there. I curled my toes in excitement and nudged Brandon so he could see it too.

That's when someone shouted, "The sea!"

There was a beat of silence. Then, an adrenaline rush coursed through the bus. It was crazy. Everyone rushed to the window to look outside. Thankfully, the bus didn't tilt to one side as the weight shifted. As the beach appeared into view, a wave of oohs and aahs followed. The chatter went up two notches as everyone squealed and laughed. I shook my head and grinned. We lived in a coastal region. This was hardly anyone's first time seeing the beach. Yet, our excitement level was equivalent to kindergartners going on their first school trip.