Chapter 23

I am just injecting Drake with the serum when Tobias walks into the room. "I have been called off to go to the control room. You will be taking Brianna and Adam as well. I'm sorry." He said.

He takes my nod as a signal to leave and I attatch the headpiece to my head so I can see how Drake is going to cope with the fears. I sigh. This really isn't the best bit if being an instructor!

Suddenly, an image pops into my head. Drake is looking scared and before him lies a large open field. It makes me just want to spread out my arms and spin around - to run around and laugh but he looks terrified. There is nothing to be seen for miles around - no flowers, trees, birds - nothing but perfectly regular, yellow-green grass. Nothing happens, not a breath of air ruffles the mud-stained ground.

Oh I get it! He is scared of solitude and the unknown. I start to think what I would do if I were in his situation. What would a dauntless do? I think I would tear up the grass to make it irregular but maybe that's just what a divergent would do. Maybe I would run around to see of the field ended but what then? What if it did?

The most obvious divergent thing to do would be to run as far as impossible or dig up the ground and find a trapdoor or something. I really wouldn't know what to do. Then I look at Drake. His skin, pale and shiny with sweat, his whole body shaking and his eyes wild with fear.

Oh now I get it! Because I am not scared of it and it doesn't affect me, there isn't a way out, I am already out but he just needs to face his fear. In which way he will try to get out, I have no idea but hopefully he won't try the divergent way: this isn't real. For his sake, I hope he tears up the grass to break the perfection.

But he just stays there, crouched, pale and shaking. I wish I could tell him what to do! Yet now, he slowly gets up, wipes the moisture off his brow and stretches out his arms. Good! Fight your fear! I think, urging him to come out of the simulation but instead, his arms spread into feather-coated wings and he springs off the ground, flying out if the simulation.

I am gradually brought back to reality only to see Drake, soaked in sweat, eyes shut, fists clenched and... smiling? His eyelids slowly curl back and hold a look of triumph but quickly change to fear when the look I am giving him regesters.

"Drake I know you're divergent." I say calmly and his face becomes a mask of utter shock. "Drake I am not going to turn you in, just be careful.  I'll delete the footage and you must think like a dauntless. Fear of solitude and the unknown right? Dauntless would tear up the grass. Try to think like that." I reply to his baffled face with as little emotion as possible. 

"Ummmm. Thanks." He mumbles whilst shuffling toward the door.

"It's alright. You can go. Dont tell anyone Drake." He nods and exits the room. Well that was full on!

After an equally tiring episode with Brianna, I look at the remaining intitiates in my chamber. I have six initiates to see over all because of Uriah's absence and the fact that Tobias had to go to the control room. After assessing Oli, (I had Drake Brianna Oli Miyah Adam and Tanya in all) I called lunch time and the initiates all scuttled off to the canteen. I went to the control room to see how Tobias was getting on.

Honestly, I was really worried for him and my arms hung stiffly at my sides whilst my legs took me to where I desired to be. I can only hope that it's not a repeat of my training.

I inch the door slowly open and to my relief, see the familiar chocolate-brown, mid-length hair and broard, strong shoulders - Tobias. So as not to disturb him, I softly tread over to him and rest my hand on his back. At first he flinches away, but as he marginally twists his body to see who it is, his face breaks into a smile and he relaxes. I find myself smiling too and I sit down next to him, saying, "Hey."

"Hey." He replies with a surprising degree of hostility in his voice. My hand rests on his knee, rubbing circles, and I look into his eyes and whisper Tobias. He looks up at me and into my eyes but they are partially glazed I over. My pupils drift to his screen and find 4 projections of scenes in each of the other factions and a half-cracked code at the bottom of the screen.

I look back up to his eyes but they are lost. No! This can't happen again! I can't let that happen again. "Tobias what are you doing" I whisper in what I hope is a reassuring tone. His eyes flicker slightly but no answer passes his lips.

Again, my vision wanders to the screen as if it wants to be there and my eyes finally rest on the Erudite scene. 5 motionless human bodies lie around a large glass tube filled with some kind of blue liquid. The liquid appears to be glowing. Apart from this, the room has absolutely no other features, not a window or a door, a bed - nothing.

Wait, how is this even possible?  How did they get in. I focus my eyes and scan the seemingly lifeless faces. 4 I don't know but the 5th is Uriah Pedrad.

A/N I know,  I know - a very predictable ending. But what do you think of this soet of idea?

I don't want to make this too unrealistic but I don't want to make it too similar to the original book or most other fanfictions. NOT THAT THESE THINGS ARE BAD - QUITE THE OPPOSITE.

ANYWAY... 1.69k VIEWS! IS THAT 1,690 OR AM I HALLUCINATING? OR JUAT GETTING IT WRONG?

ANYWAY OVER 1K IS ABSOLUTELYUNDESCRIBABLE!

Thanks soooooo much!!!!
(Lol 6 o's and 4 !'s xx)

Love you!
Yolo
Lolakitten123 xxxxxxxxxx