Chapter 9

My heart beats stong and rhythmically as I knock on the door. Mrs Eaton falls silent and so do all of the factionless. Pressing my eyes fermly shut, I begin to very slowly inch the door open. I reach jam in the door so I lean against it. It unjams easily leaving me in an elegant heap on the floor.
Slowly ascending, as my hands find my thighs and I brush off the dust, all eyes are on me. For the first time in my life, I don't know what to say.

I decide to scan the crowd for a Tobias-like figure: but as hard as I try to make myself believe that he is here, my heart knows the reality.

"I am sorry to interrupt ma'am but I am looking for your son, I believe, Tobias Eaton." I say.

"Yes, you are correct, he is my son and I am most distressed to hear that he is missing."She replies and turning to adress the factionless, she dictates, "You are free to leave now."

"Thank you ma'am for taking me seriously. I am former abnegation member and now dauntless member, Beatrice Prior."

"Thank you for coming Beatrice,  but why does it concern you whether or not my son is missing?"

Think Tris think! I need to think fast whether to lie or not. Thinking that would be selfish, I decide that now of all times is not one to be selfish. So I end up saying, "I... we... we are... were together." And flushing magnificently pink in embarrassment,  waiting for her response.

"Well he is lucky and I am glad that you seem so nice." She says, dignified.

"Thank you very much ma'am..." I begin but am interrupted by her saying,

"No need to speek under such formal terms, my dear, my name is Evelyn Eaton and I strongly feel that we will get on."

I shake her outstretched hand and smile at her. She smiles back. And I know that now I am not alone, I will  find Tobias.

I sleep over night in the factionless shack. By lunch time we have made several plans of action for finding Tobias. My time-limit given by Max was 2 days and they are nearly over so we plan to leave in half an hour.

*back in the dauntless compound*

Christina's POV

"Why does Tris have to take so long? It's nearly been 2 days and she still hasn't found Four. Omg Will what if they're dead!" I cry at Will and he hugs me, patting my hair.

"Chris, darling, I am sure they're ok. I mean they're not really the type to get killed and I trust them, they know what they are doing."

"Omg Will,  do you honestly think so." I say as he brushes away a tear, "Oh I hope nothing has happened to them!"

"It's ok. They're ok. And I love it that you care so much." He says, smile playing across his lips as he kisses my nose.

I throw myself into his arms and know that I am so lucky that I have him. He is like a lighthouse in a storm and a rock to hold onto, so sturdy and unbreakable.  And he's mine!

*Back to Tris...*

Tris POV

We head over to the Erudite compound and decide to look for him in a log book in the library. There are so many names, it's so hard to process whether I have seen his name or not already. And then we find it: Tobias Eaton 21/03. I am not certain but I believe that the date was just 2 days ago. I feel my heart beating faster as I contemplate his whereabouts but I warn myself not to get too excited incase it means nothing.

Erudite was a good bet because the dauntless leaders have a close pact with the Erudite and I thought that because Tobias was constantly being begged to become a leader, he might know about it. But who knows where to go from here?
He could be anywhere in the compound. Tobias doesn't go small though, he will be up with the most important I think to myself. I hope we've nearly found him...

I am snapped out of my daze by feeling a hot breath on my neck. Instantly assuming it's Evelyn, I turn round to find that it is infact the Erudite librarian. "Excuse me young lady but what do you think your doing?" Her voice scratchy and fed up.

"I am sorry ma'am but am here from dauntless to look for Mr Tobias Eaton. Do you happen to know where he might be?"

Quite shaken, she replies, "You should find him in room 349c on the second floor of this building."

"Thank you ma'am." I reply gratefully and climb the stairs 2-at-a-time, eager to find my love. Evelyn follows me, puffing and panting like an elderly, faithful dog. I smile at her and start my search for room 349c.

Within half an hour we have found it and we exchange glanced before pushing on the door. It is stiff at first but I can tell that it's not locked. However Evelyn stops beside me, giving up her last hope. This makes me push harder and soon we're in.

There is a reclining chair with a metal table next to it, the chair faces towards the windows on the opposite wall from us. The room is plain and clean, just like the room in which my aptitude test was held. However the lighting that lines the ceiling has an ugly blue tinge to it that the aptitude room did not have. I make my way around the chair and find Tobias, eyes wild, hair unbrushed, staring at me with a sinister grin forming on his face.

My instant instinct is to run but I know that it will do no good. This is not my Tobias but I need to get him back. I hold his hand and he punches me in the jaw with his other hand. Deciding to treat him like a dog, I lower my head in submission and whisper Tobias over and over. I feel a fist in my stomach but I will not give in. He deserves to live a life free of whatever is controlling his mind. And I will free him.

So I treat him like a human instead. I look straight into his eyes, pleading with my own. Very very slowly, maybe I am imagining it but, his eyes soften little by little. I feel his breathing slow and I take his hand again, writing his and my name on his hand with my thumb.  Again, he relaxes slightly and I look into his eyes and see a look of longing in them. I place my hand over his heart and his instant reaction is to kick me in the stomach. I must stay strong for him, he deserves it after all he's had to endure.

I try again. I place my hands over his and look into his eyes, whispering all the time I love you Tobias Eaton.  My fingers find his face, drawing circles down his cheekbone and stroking his jawline, wishing to kiss him. Another time, look into his eyes and they almost look like his own. The ones who trusted me with his deepest secrets and who confessed their love for me. Taking each hand in my own, I kiss them and rest my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat, strong and steady. For the last time, I look back into his eyes and see Tobias' eyes. My Tobias' eyes.

I fling my arms around his neck and bury my head in his chest. Slowly, very slowly and mechanically, his arms move to hold me.

We stay like this for ages, in each other's arms, protected and warm. Perfect. Then he starts to stirr and he says: I love you Tris. And we kiss, moving in sync, as one. Our hearts beat to the same rhythm, our lips move together and we lock each other in a tight embrace, perfectly safe and sound. I never want this moment to stop.