Chapter 16

Tris POV

The alarm goes off so I hit it and crawl out of my bed and into the shower. The warm water coats my hair and body. It's wonderful.

After my shower, I am fully awake so I blowdry, straighten and tie up my hair as usual. I apply some concealer, mascara and lip balm. Heading over to my dresser, I see a package on the top of it. The note by it said My dear Beatrice, Happy birthday my darling.
Mum xxx

With all the pressure of initiation last year, I completely forgot about my birthday. Well I guess it's nice to be remembered.

I tear the tissue paper appart to find a long sleeved black v-neck top and some black pants. Finding my combat boots at the foot of my dresser, I decide to put them on along with my new outfit. I look in the mirror. Not bad.

Someone knocks on the door so I open it and find a grinning Tobias standing there. I invite him in and we sit down on the couch. He wraps his arm around my waist and says, "Morning beautiful and happy birthday. By the way, you look really good in that but I don't believe I have seen it before." I blush because he is so observant which shows,  if I needed any proof, that he really cares.
"No, you haven't." I say looking into his gorgeous blue eyes, "Because I found a package ony dresser, from my mum, with this inside.

"There might be something else in it though." he mumbles.

So I look inside the wrapping and indeed, there is something else. Plunging my hand inside, I feel it and find it to be a box. I open it and inside, there is a beautiful silver locket necklace in the shape of a heart. On one side, engraved in simple lettering is Tobias and on the other Beatrice. And on the clasp that opens the locket is the number 10.

I swing round, probably hitting him in the face with my hair, and kiss him. He kisses back and we are in perfect harmony. My hands find the back of his neck and his find my waist, sending electricity through my veins, powering me up for more.

But I don't want more. I don't want to be a mum at barely 18. I love him with all my heart but we said we would take it slowly and I want to stick to that. So I pull back and he looks disappointed. I say, "Sorry my little Toby but we have to have food now and get to work." 

"But Trissy" he wines

"No Toby, you will never use that name again and we must go and have food NOW. " I say sternly with a glare.

As he starts to protest, I raise my hand and glare and at him harder, practically dragging him to the canteen alongside me.

*Time lapse to training*

"Right. Today, the real training will begin. Yesterday was for you to show us what you could already do but today, you will all be ranked on the score board. So, let's not waste time. I have allocated you a timetable each as to which stations you will go to and when. We will be checking on you all and correcting you. No go!" I order and they all scurry off to their stations. I decide to head over to the knife throwing station to inspect the initiate's progress. Brianna, Ethan and Fran are here for now because, well, they didn't impress me yesterday. I decide to study each one and see what they're doing wrong. Ethan, obviously left-handed, is struggling to aim with his right hand. "Ethan." I call and he quickly pivots round. "You're left handed. You can throw with your left, you know." I say and he nods and heads back to the target. He still faces the right handers way and hits Brianna's target on the edge. Then he switches to what he was doing before and hits the edge of his target. He's going to need more help. "Ethan. Watch and copy what I do. "

"But you're right handed so if you are showing me how to throw on the left, you might not be the best one to do it." To show him not to be such an erudite smartass,  I step onto the cross to mark where to stand, tirn to face the opposite way to normal and throw the knife bulls eye. I take 5 more knives and hit the same spot each time. Then, to prove I haven't cheated by using my right hand, I turn to the other side, take 5 more knives and throw them. Again, all in the same spot.