42. in love with luke hemmings

(was fully prepared to make you guys wait a few more days for this chapter, but it's my bday so i figured i'd be nice ;))

"michael!" emma called out once she emerged from the woods.

"yes, emma? how may i help you" michael flashed a charming smile while making s'mores.

emma joined him on a log and grabbed a stick, poking a marshmallow through it and holding it carefully over the flames.

"so, who's this girl you've been crushing on?" emma smirked and nudged his shoulder, watching his cheeks turn red — though she couldn't tell if it was from the heat of the fire or the fact that he really did like a girl.

"what, psh — there's no girl" it was an obvious lie, his voice went up a few octaves as he spoke.

"liar" emma screamed, grabbing the s'more from his hand and holding it away from him as leverage. "tell me or the s'more gets it" she threatened.

"no, please don't hurt it — i worked so hard on that" michael pouted and lunged for the sweet snack.

"spill your guts, clifford" she waved the treat in the air, giggling as michael's eyes followed her movements.

"fine, but you can't tell anyone. promise me"

emma nodded and extended her pinky finger. "pinky promise" she smiled once michael interlocked his finger with hers.

"it's maya" he sheepishly smiled.

emma gasped and jumped from her seat, accidentally flinging michael's s'more across the campground out of excitement.

"I KNEW IT" she screamed, grabbing michael's arm and pulling him up. "i'm so happy for you, oh my gosh" emma pulled him into a hug, though the only thing on his mind was his s'more.

"are you going to tell her? you have to tell her — unless she already knows? no she would've told me something as big as this" emma continued to ramble on, drowning in a state of euphoria at the thought of her two best friends liking each other.

it made her feel warm. emma had been feeling incredibly guilty about taking luke from maya — even if it was unintentional — so the thought of maya getting back out there made emma so happy.

plus, she had a feeling maya liked michael, too.

"don't worry, i'm going to talk to her tonight and find out if she likes you back," emma beamed proudly, "but i'll make you another s'more first"

michael eagerly nodded, though he knew emma wouldn't get the chance to talk to maya if the night turned out like he had planned.

"and we're just supposed to throw back shots of water while luke and emma get drunk?" maya raised an eyebrow at michael. the boy had a full proof plan, but seeds of doubts had been planted in the groups mind after little progress had been made.

"correct" michael smiled.

"how in the hell is that going to work? they're not dumb" calum rolled his eyes, wanting nothing more than to get drunk and spend a reckless night with his friends.

michael groaned, "stop doubting me," he whined and stomped his feet on the ground like a little kid. "luke is a blunt, horny drunk,"

"and emma is a flirty drunk" ashton finished for him, earning a solidified nod from michael.

"put them both together and something is bound to happen"

"can we at least get drunk once they're trashed? they'll probably just have sex in a tent somewhere, that doesn't mean they'll get together" calum continued to put a damper on michael's plan by throwing out dumb alternatives.