10. their song

THEIR SONG

god fucking damn it.

emma and luke were not supposed to fall asleep. the sky transforming from dark twilight to bright streaks of red, pink and orange was not supposed to be the thing that woke emma up.

and emma most definitely was not supposed to wake up with luke's arms around her and her head on his chest.

"luke, get up!" emma whisper/yelled seeing as it was barely past seven in the morning.

she was frantically throwing all of luke's items back into the box, growing irritated as luke sat idly by and watched her.

"are you going to help me or just fucking stare at me?" emma snatched the blanket from his lap and carelessly tossed it into the box, wanting to get out of here as soon as possible.

luke just wanted to stare at her, he missed waking up next to her.

"why are you freaking out?" he asked calmly, slowly standing up and handing emma a bundle of blankets.

"i told caleb we would be home by 2, we fell asleep and my phone is dead — he probably thinks something happened" she thrusted the box in luke's hands and pulled her hair into a low bun, just to keep it out of her face.

luke had a cheeky grin on his face because in his eyes, something did happen.

"wipe that stupid grin off your face, it meant nothing" emma spat. she refused to let luke feel any sort of victory over how they woke up this morning.

"it's a shame i brought a pillow for you considering you laid on me for a majority of the night" luke teased, definitely not realizing that emma was in no mood for jokes.

she scowled and grabbed a pillow from the box luke was holding. "fuck off" she said before hitting him with the plush material.

emma never said "fuck you" anymore, because luke always had that one snarky comeback that never failed to get under her skin.

"ow! don't be cruel, it's not my fault" luke pouted and stole the pillow as he and emma began walking towards his car, ignoring the wary looks from early morning joggers.

emma scoffed and ran her hands up and down her arms in attempt to fight off the cold. "god, this was probably your plan the whole fucking time"

"excuse me?" luke widened his eyes.

"it was smart i'll give you that," emma cackled. "i woke up early for work. which obviously meant you knew i'd be tired later. you made sure i let my guard down, you kept wanting to watch 'one more episode' because you wanted me to fall asleep so that you could what? make a move? cuddle with me? pathetic" emma shook her head and climbed into luke's car, making sure to slam the door shut.

"woah, calm the fuck down," luke cautiously started the ignition and began driving, not sure if emma would lash out again.

"for the record, you initiated the cuddling last night-"

"bullshit" emma cut him off.

"no, it's true — you kept hogging all of the blankets and i was going to be a gentleman and let you, but it was freezing so i took one or two and i guess you got cold and your body just naturally gravitated towards me" luke explained.