38. the road trip

emma woke up bright and early the next morning — frowning slightly when the space next to her was empty.

for a moment, she was worried luke had left. her legs were no longer tangled with his like they were when she fell asleep last night, and his fingers weren't softly combing through her hair.

she felt empty, lifeless even. she was left wondering how she ever managed to fall asleep without luke after last night. was it possible for one night with one boy to completely change you? because emma felt different in the best way possible.

she ran her fingers up and down her arms, feeling a soft tingle at the realization that luke had his fingers dancing on her skin just hours prior.

luke's shirt was still in a heap on the floor along with emma's clothes. the articles of clothing was enough to make emma feel giddy — he didn't leave.

she smiled to herself and bit her bottom lip, quietly slipping out of bed and picking up luke's t-shirt off of the ground.

emma slipped the thin material over her head, luke had never been shy about emma wearing his things. it reached below her mid thigh, so she didn't bother to put on pants.

emma was about to venture into the living room, but thoughts started swarming her mind, and she felt nervous. this wasn't the first time she and luke had slept together, but it was the first time that she actually stayed. emma was scared luke would regret what they did last night.

emma didn't regret it in the slightest, but it made her question what they were.

obviously, more than friends. but were they taking things slow, dating? was it just a slip up that wouldn't happen again? she hoped it wasn't the latter, but was she ready to pursue a relationship with luke after her previous one had just ended?

she decided to worry about this later — she had a hot guy somewhere in her apartment that needed her attention.

emma walked into the kitchen, smiling once she noticed luke was hovering over the stove. pancake batter and chocolate chips were strewn across the counter.

he was wearing the same jeans from last night and his boxers were peeking out over the denim material, making emma internally swoon.

her eyes raked over his bare back — or more so the scratches that now decorated his skin. she smirked, all she wanted to do was add more of them.

luke's hair was messy, like i just had multiple rounds of sex and passed out messy. but it suited him, he could truthfully pull off any hair style.

emma crept up behind luke and wrapped her arms around him, hugging him from behind as she rested her head on his back.

"good morning" emma smiled. it was barely past eight in the morning and emma had already smiled so much.

she wasn't a morning person, so it was obvious her good mood was stemming from the cute blonde she slept with the night before.

"morning, baby" luke grinned and turned around to face her, his smile only widening when her face came into view.

they stared at each other like love sick teenagers with stars in their eyes. it was like staying up past 4 in the morning and giggling all night made them feel something neither had experienced in a long time.

"baby?" emma asked with a raised eyebrow.

luke nodded. he combed his fingers through emma's messy hair, careful not to yank it — even though he knew the girl kind of liked it.

"would you like me to call you something else?" luke hummed.

"no, i like baby" emma licked her lips and gave luke a quick kiss on the cheek.