35. falling: part one

"oh — what are you doing here?" luke placed his hand over his chest, not expecting maya to be seated on his couch.

"i wanted to talk, but you didn't answer when i called so i just came over" maya nervously fiddled with her fingers. ashton had let her inside before leaving to go find emma, neither had been answering their phones.

"um, where were you?" maya asked. but she had a gut feeling she already knew.

"i just grabbed some food"

"were you alone or..." maya was trying to not-so-subtly ask luke if he and emma had been together.

"uh, no," luke awkwardly coughed. "emma went with me"

when maya didn't say anything, luke assumed she didn't want to talk about that anymore.

"you said you wanted to talk?" luke asked, plopping down on the sofa and resting his feet on the small coffee table.

maya nodded and squeezed his hand. "i know you and emma have a past," she trailed off and bit her lip, staring at luke to see if his face would give him away.

"did anything.... happen... between you two, while you and i were together?" she hated that she even had to ask this.

"no, maya i would never cheat on you, why would you even think that?" luke was quick to turn down her intrusive thoughts, easing the poor girls mind for just a moment.

maya sighed and closed her eyes, she could already feel hot tears welling in the corner of her eyes.

"i saw you two" she said, her breathing becoming shaky and quiet.

luke knew he had fucked up when that didn't narrow down shit.

he'll be the first to admit there may have been a few instances where he and emma got lost in the moment and took things a little farther than they should have gone, though he never intended for anyone else to know about them.

"what are you talking about?" luke asked. he placed a hand on her face to try and get her to look at him.

"the night of my co-workers party, i saw you two walking out of the bathroom together... you had your arm around her and-"

"that never happened, i was never alone with emma at the party" luke shook his head. he knew he had blacked out that night, but he never thought anything had happened during that period of time.

did something happen between us? does emma remember it?

"i saw it, luke. do you not remember it?"

"i don't," luke sighed and placed his hands on his head — as if the simple gesture alone would jog his memory. "i would never-"

"i cheated on you" maya whispered, causing luke to stop dead in his tracks.

"you what?" hurt was sprawled all over his face. maya felt the tears start to fall, only because she felt so fucking bad.

"the night of the party... i kissed someone" she sniffled and avoided luke's gaze. maya decided to leave michael out of it, not wanting to cause more drama within the friend group.

"I-I don't even know what to say" luke stood up and started pacing around the living room.

"i'm sorry, i was drunk and you just told me you didn't love me, i was a mess"

is it bad that luke felt almost relieved?

"i can't fucking believe it," luke laughed and smiled in irony. "after all of the times-" he didn't bother finishing his statement, just grabbed his keys and headed towards the door.