32. lover of mine

LOVER OF MINE

luke sits alone on the back patio, guitar on his lap and his phone sitting up against a water bottle as he waits for calum to answer the facetime call.

the boy picks up on the third ring, and he, ellie and petunia are smushed onto luke's phone screen.

"i'm surprised you're calling, it's been a while" the dark-haired boy pouts.

"it's only been a few weeks, your hair has grown out quite a bit" luke points out, smiling as ellie ruffles the long curls resting on calum's head.

"i told him he should grow it out ages ago, nice to see he's finally listened to me" ellie says.

"what's so urgent that you had to call? el and i were kind of... busy"

luke gives his friends a knowing look, now realizing their faces are flushed and their hair is slightly messy. "i just wanted an opinion on the song i wrote for emma. we sort of had a moment last night and i managed to finish it earlier today... but if you guys are busy—"

"no, no!" calum interjects, "we wanna hear the song"

ellie nods alongside him, pulling petunia onto her lap.

"what made you write a song for her in the first place?" ellie questions.

luke strums a few random chords on the guitar and shrugs. "she was pretty upset with me when i first showed up, and when we were in hawaii all those years ago she said if she's ever mad at me, i just have to write her a song and she'll forgive me"

"but she already forgave you" calum points out.

"she did, but i poured my heart into writing this and i just want her to hear it"

"but why are you playing it for us? shouldn't you be singing it to the girl you wrote it for?"

"the timing has to be perfect—"

calum cuts luke off, his short attention span shining through. "oh yeah, speaking of timing... did michael tell you the bad news yet?"

"no? what bad news?" luke asks.

"there's a storm blowing though san francisco over the next few days, so our flight got delayed. we won't be there until friday at the earliest"

luke frowns, he's really missed his friends back home and he's sure emma feels the same way seeing as she hasn't seen them in over a year.

"but you'll miss the rehearsal dinner, and the wedding is saturday"

it's already monday evening, which doesn't give the group a lot of time to catch up before the big day.

"i know. look, just tell emma we're sorry and we'll try to get there as soon as we can. but it's almost time for petunia's walk, so if you're gonna play the song i would do it now"

luke nods, growing nervous as he hasn't sung in front of someone who wasn't emma in a while. he originally wanted to call michael, though he trusted calum's taste in music a little more and figured he'd provide a more thorough and honest opinion of the song.

"alright, i might sound a little rusty—"

"you have the voice of a baby angel. you'll sound rusty my ass, now sing before i hang up on you!" calum practically shouts through the phone.

luke smiles, letting out a few random notes to warm his voice up as he strums the guitar.

"lover of mine,"
"maybe we'll take some time"