39. counting the days

DAY ONE.

today was a hard day. emma's morning routine for the past few weeks had consisted of texting a certain blonde, but she couldn't do that this morning.

she figured it would be easier to turn her phone off all together so she wouldn't be tempted to reach out or face a minor lapse in judgement. with nothing to pass the time, emma stared at her ceiling all day, whole heartedly regretting the decision she made yesterday.

emma couldn't bring herself to face maya, even though her mind was whirling with questions about the downfall of maya and luke's relationship.

she was worried maya would be upset, not realizing maya had come to terms with luke and emma's relationship already.

so she stayed in her room for the entire day, wishing she could take a depression nap to hopefully get time to go by faster. but she couldn't, because a certain someone wasn't laying in bed with her.

DAY THREE.

emma ventured out into her kitchen for the first time in three days and instantly wished she hadn't.

when she looked at the stove, all she could picture was luke calling her baby. there might even be a few chocolate chips still scattered around the counter top.

"you're alive," maya squealed and pulled her friend into a hug. "mikey and i were starting to worry" she lazily bobbed her head towards the living room, where michael was sprawled out on the couch.

"how long has he been here?" emma mumbled, wincing at how raspy her voice sounded.

"since last night" maya cheekily grinned. she kept michael in the loop in regards to her relationship with luke, or lack of relationship, giving him the juicy details on everything up until the moment luke left to find emma.

maya wasn't as upset as she originally thought she would be. she deserved someone amazing, she knew that. luke wasn't that guy for her, but he was out there somewhere.

he might even be closer than she realizes.

michael thought it was blatantly obvious that something must have happened between luke and emma. so he called ashton, who informed him that luke hasn't left his room in days.

emma's tangled hair, smudged makeup and dark circles under her eyes signaled she was in the same boat as luke — both miserable and both stubborn.

but maya was oblivious, like she had been for a majority of the time luke and emma were catching feelings.

"did something, you know, happen... between you and luke the other night?" she gave emma a suggestive glance.

"yeah, something" emma frowned. she grabbed a bottle of water and an apple from the fridge before sulking back into her room and slamming the door shut.

DAY SEVEN.

emma called him today.

he didn't answer.

DAY EIGHT.

michael had been trying to get the sad girl to answer her phone for hours, but she refused. finally, after a if you don't answer i'm coming over there and busting your door down voicemail, emma dialed his number.

michael was the first person emma confided in about everything. from ashton dumping her, to her argument with luke, to sleeping with luke and finally, her decision to distance herself.

michael wasn't surprised. if anything, he thought it would've happened sooner. but his heart hurt for emma, it broke for her.

the only piece of advice he could offer was telling emma to talk maya, but she couldn't.