PART 2 Preview: Maris, Daughter of Náin

Dearest Readers,

Thank you all for reading this far into this wildly long story! While this is Part 2 of a 4 Part tale, I have to give all of you kuddos for sticking around. All of you give me so much inspiration and I am so glad your excitement is giving me the motivation to keep pushing forward! 

This chapter- we delve deeper into Varis's background and finally learn who her mother really is, and just what her connection is to these dwarves.

And Persie gets practice in being a good listener. 

XOXO Ally Layne. 

---

The next morning I dressed into some of my training attire, and fisted the bottoms of the sleeves as I walked into Varis's chambers. She was already awake, and obviously had been for quite some time, if the small circles underneath her eyes were right.

My short, red-haired friend was pouring over piles of books while drinking a canteen of something I hoped was water. With Varis, sometimes it's hard to guess those things.

"Do you know about the battle with Sauron that started the Third Age?"

I stopped in my tracks, loosening my hands and crossing my arms at the odd question. "Only what Fin and Alma taught me over a year ago."

Varis nodded to herself as she read through the page. "The elves write that very few dwarves fought in the Last Alliance. Some even joined Sauron."

I pursed my lips. "It was called the Last Alliance of Elves and Men for a reason, I think."

She huffed out a breath. "I do not think that Dwarves have been given a fair bout in the history of the ages. We are a fine and hardy folk..." her eyes dazed slightly. "Even though we do not take to outsiders."

"Then how would the elves know anything about dwarves in the first place?" I questioned, moving over to her desk and closing the book she was diligently scowling over. "Varis, perhaps if you wish to learn about your people you shouldn't be looking at the words of others. Maybe you could speak with the King-"

"I could never do such a thing," she insisted, shaking her head stubbornly. "There was a reason why my family was removed from the mountains, and I will not force myself to be the object of ill deeds and rage from the past."

I tilted my head. "Is that why you lied about your origins? Even Goldilocks noticed, not that he's been noticing too much lately, but you know what I mean."

Varis looked up at me with a sheepish grin. "You caught that, did you?"

I sat myself down on the couch across from her and gestured to her. "You ought to let me in on why you lied, so I can make sure my dearest elf doesn't go about spreading rumors."

Her lips pursed in thought. "It is not a lovely tale."

I shrugged. "You know my own, so how could I ever judge you for yours?"

Her face started to pale slightly. "Maybe we should eat first, I do not think after this I will have much of an appetite at all."

My stomach squirmed at her warning. "Okay, we can do that."

Eventually, she was going to have to tell me something. I was okay with waiting only for so long, and Varis has hardly spoken about her past. After having breakfast delivered to us from the kitchens and eating just feet from each other in awkward silence, I had enough of the avoidance.