Chapter 25

Poland's P.O.V.

Czech's door loomed over us like a monster. Germany's hand grasps mine, and I'm comforted by his presence.

He raps on the door with his knuckles, hard and forced.  No one answers.

There is no sound coming from inside the house.

He knocks again, and this time it's so loud I think the door might fall down. I guess Germans have that ability. (As a resident of Germany I can confirm this)

After he is greeted with the same silence, Germany tries to open the door. It's locked.

"Schiesse," he mutters under his breath. "Maybe the windows."

We made our way around the house, stopping in front of a tall window. Germany rolled up his sleeves, releasing my hand and climbing up on the windowsill. He pried open the window with his fingers, making it creak with pressure.

He hopped down, brushing off his hands. "Shall we?"
__________________
The inside of the house is surprisingly cold. I shivered, the chill creeping into my clothing. It made me want to curl up in Germany's arms and just-
No. Poland, stay focused.

Our hands became linked once again, another reminder to myself that I was safe. I would be okay as long as Germany was here with me.

A door suddenly slammed, making us jump. "Ah!" I yelp, quickly covering my mouth.
We make our way to the room, where Germany pushes open the door with his foot. Another large blast of cold air slams in our faces, making me flinch.

Inside the room is a bed and a side table, a lopsided lamp perched on the table. I poke it with one finger, making the lampshade wobble. Everything smells like forests, wood, and maybe a hint of smoke.

Germany bends over, reappearing with a rope in his other hand. "I don't understand. Where are they?"
I shrug, then notice something sticking out of the messy sheets.

"Hey, look," I say, using both hands to pull back the covers. It reveals a large map of our neighborhood, with red streaks of marker plastered across the paper. A few houses are circled, with one of them appearing to be in a place like Germany's...

I turn my head to look outside. Handprints mark the window, smudged and clear, like someone...
...was trying to get help.

Germany sees it too, then glances back at the map. "Well this is just a confusing mess, am I right?"
Except it's not. Somewhere deep down inside, I know it all makes perfect sense.
__________________
We brought the map back to Germany's house, along with the rope and an old camera we found. The objects are all laid out out on the table like it's a museum.

I glide my fingers over the rope. It's coarse, rough, and thick, likely to leave a burn if you rubbed against it too much. Just the kind you would use for tying someone up.

The map remains a mystery, the red marker still giving us no information about the whereabouts of Austria nor Czech.
But the camera...that could be useful.

Germany was pacing again, his hands folded behind his back. I could almost feel how hard he was thinking.
He turns to me suddenly, placing his hands on the table and hunching over. "So here's what we know."
"Austria is missing. Czech has something to do with it. She's not at his house, there's a map with weird marks, and a camera."
"And rope," I add in a small voice. "And the rope," Germany repeats.

"Maybe someone else would know something about Czech?" Germany suggests mostly to himself. I roll the list over in my head.
Me, Russia, Bulgaria, Slovakia...
Slovakia. Slovakia!

I jump up, putting my hands on the table. "(Slovakia!)" I say quickly, then correct myself. "Sl...ovak-ee-ah."
Germany whips his head to look at me so suddenly I flinch back a little. "Yes? What about her?"

I open my mouth but he stops me with a snap. "Wait, you're right! Isn't she his sister or something?"
"Uh..."

"Never mind that. We need to go to her house ASAP."

I put a small hand up. "She live of with Czech."

Germany snapped again, this time in frustration. "Argh. So where do we find her?"

There is a moment of silence as our brains race for the answer, our hearts beating in sync. That's when everything dawns on me. I can almost feel Germany realizing it.

"Lithuania."
______________________
AHAHA IM THE WORST
ok really sorry tho, I don't know why I've been hanging on to this for so long, then school, then this really cool play I signed up for and I'm the only stage hand in the whole play and aaaaa
thank you guys for being so patient, it means a lot

well as always,
happy reading uwuwuwuwu