Outro

Third person P.O.V.

Prussia was weak and terribly exhausted. His army was running out of food and supplies, fast. The Russian Empire and now Austria weren't faring much better, either. As far as Prussia knew, they were either dead or well on their way. He hadn't received a letter from them in weeks, which was deeply disturbing.

The map they had all stood around not a month ago was peppered with new markings and strategical pieces.  The chandelier was snuffed out, replaced by a single kerosene lamp on a side table. The vast room was empty, other than the single country standing in the middle.

He hunched over the map, his brow furrowed in concentration. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was beginning to become a rather worrying problem.

"Verdammt," he muttered.

Suddenly, the huge oak doors burst open, a soldier and two very frustrated guards stood in the doorway. "Sir!" The soldier squeaked. He was small and looked quite young, probably just a messenger. He appeared to be no more than 15 or 16. The griffin-adorned country looked up.

"Yes, what is it?" Prussia said, the boy's expression stirring a sickening feeling in his gut.

"It's the Russian Empire, sir. He wishes to speak to you."

"Fortify the perimeter immediately. Secure the exterior gates. No one comes in or out, versteht? (German: understand?)" "Yes sir!" The guards said, rushing off to deliver orders. The messenger timidly led the German down the hallway, if not rather hurriedly. Their boots echoes down the hall. It was a warm spring day, free from the icy grasp of winter. The stone walls of the old palace were lined with moss, candles lighting the hallway to make up for the lack of sunlight.

Soon enough, they arrived at a larger conference room, a huge painting of Prussia himself on the north wall. Beautiful tapestries hung on the opposing walls, but otherwise, the room was empty. There were a few indents in the carpet where chairs used to rest.

The Russian Empire stood at a large window, rigid and unmoving. His large, gloved hands were held behind his back, his knees locked upright.

Prussia dismissed the messenger, closing the door to the conference room as he entered. The larger empire did not move.

"You've summoned me?" Prussia asked, adjusting the buttons on his uniform. He walked to stand beside the larger country. The sun cast a single beam into the room via the window, small dust particles dancing in the air. Still, the Russian did not move.

"I asked what would become of our...situation afterwards. I do not recall coming to a verdict."

"Ah...er..." Prussia wrung his hands awkwardly. "What did you propose we do?"

"I propose we split the land in accordance to this map." The Russian Empire pulled a map out of his pants pocket, unfolding it slowly. Prussia took it, examining it thoroughly. The territory was roughly divided, and...why did the Russian Empire have so much more land?

The German scowled. "Well, this is certainly not equal in terms of land division."

"Life isn't fair," the Russian sighed.

There was a moment of silence.

"If you're making these plans now, does that mean..."

"Yes," the taller said, finally turning around. A long scar trailed from the edge of his eye to the right corner of his lip. It had not been there before the battle. Prussia subconsciously shifted backwards. "We've defeated him, Prussia."

The shorter of the two let the sentence sink in. One of his greatest adversaries had finally been conquered. He should be celebrating! But all he felt was dread. Something was terribly wrong. The German no longer felt certain about his choices. There was now a sense of danger in the room; of insecurity.

"I really thought you'd be more, oh, elated, should I say. You seem rather upset." When Prussia didn't respond, he continued. "Your family will be overjoyed. You can finally see your son for once, yes?"

Now Prussia thought of his child, the quiet and serious German Empire. He felt a pang of guilt, as if the young country's cold demeanor was somehow his fault. The Russian seemed to notice this, tilting his head with interest.

"Anyway," Prussia said, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. "I assume you've talked it over with Austria?"

"Oh yes, yes. Of course." The taller of the two cleared his throat, turning back to stare through the window. "He decided to share some of your land."

The German scoffed. "Share my land? What an absurd thing to say, considering you have more than half. I can assume you didn't show him this...this...preposterous arrangement!" He took a step forward, crumpling the map with a fist from his anger.

The Russian turned back to him, a dangerous gleam in his eye. "Whether or not I showed him the map is none of your business," he said, his voice low and threatening. The sun vanished behind a sheet of clouds, giving the room an eerie feel. But Prussia was furious, and he was certainly not going to let the other empire just walk all over him.

"No! I will not go through with this. Austria will be livid when he sees what you've done, you dirty scoundrel." The German whirled on his heels, stomping towards the door.

"Beware, Prussian Empire." The other declared loudly, his gruff voice echoing off the walls. "One day, many years from now, you and your high-and-mighty Germans will crumble at the foot of my bloodline. You will be no more than scumbags, wasting away on the street and feeding rats to your children. I will personally see to it."

Prussia stopped. He turned around slowly to face the other. For a moment, it was silent. The sun returned faintly, the beam continuing to illuminate the large room.

He took both hands on either side of the map, then tore it violently down the middle. He dropped both pieces on the floor, walking briskly out of the conference room.

Stupid Russian, he thought to himself angrily. The Germans are superior to all.

Just you wait.

___________________________
LAST (official) CHAPTER WOOP WOOP 🎉🎉🎉

There will be a thank you/art/Q&A post coming out soon, but in the meantime, thank you for reading We Don't Care :) 💖