Chapter 8

Germany's P.O.V.

I put on a grey coat, checking my watch. Oh jeez! I have 10 minutes before our agreed meeting time. I better hurry.

I walk out of my building complex, getting into my car. It starts up with a satisfying whir. In seconds, I'm cruising down the road to my girlfriend's house. I hope she doesn't think I'm late.

I park in front of her house, the one so familiar to me I could describe every part of it with my eyes closed. I get out, locking it up, and walk to her front door. I knock slowly.

"Coming!" Comes a sing-song voice from inside the house. I open the door to see France dressed in a striped long-sleeve shirt, a grey skirt, and ankle boots with a slight heel to make her taller. A freshly pressed beret sits on her head perfectly. She flashes a pretty smile at me. "Ready to go?" I ask, and she nods. "I'll just get my purse." I glance at my watch. 7 minutes early. Thank goodness.

The French country reappears with her purse. "Ready to go!" I smile, taking her arm and leading her down to my car. She laughs, getting into the passenger seat next to me.

We ride into town, and France goes on and on about how many pretty flowers there are in the springtime. I listen intently, trying to remember which ones are her favorite so I can bring her some next time.

The car slows to a stop in front of a pastry shop. Even from the car I can smell the delicious pastries cooking in the oven, fluffy and fresh. Perfect to eat. France smells it too, taking a deep inhale. "They smell so good." I nod in agreement. "Well, what are we waiting for?"

The doors swing open with a clinging of bells. One of the workers, which happens to be Belgium smiles at me. "Germany and France! Hello there!" She waves us over to the counter and grins at us. "What can I get you guys today?" I look at France. "Well, what do you want sweetie?"

She carefully picks out a croissant with chocolate and strawberries and Belgium opens the glass door to the different pastries. While she's putting one of them into a bag, I hear France speak up. "I wish I could try everything! It all smells so sweet." She takes another deep inhale and I grab her hand. "Not as sweet as you," I say with a wink. She giggles. "Germanyyyy," But I can tell she's flattered by the compliment.

Belgium hands me the bag and I give her a 10 euro bill. "Keep the change," I say, and she looks up at me gratefully. "Gollee! Thanks!"

We walk out of the shop just as a gold, green, and red striped country is coming in. We bump into each other on accident. "Oops! Oh, I'm so sorry," The country adds with an apologetic gesture. France smiled. "It's okay, ma puce." The country gives us a crooked grin and rushes off. He looks so familiar to me, but why? I don't think I've ever seen him before.

"Ooh, should we try that cafe over there? I heard it's new." Says France, pointing with her multicolored hand at a shop across the street. I shrug. "Sure. Maybe we can also get some coffee while we're at it."

We stroll over to the opposite side of the street and go inside. A fresh smell hits me, like flowers. Countries are seated in various places, having chats, drinking hot, steamy beverages, working on laptops, and more. I even saw one country who seemed to be asleep. France pulls me up to order, getting herself a French vanilla chai latte. I ask for just regular coffee.

While she's talking to one of the waiters with a red, black, and green flag with a white crescent and star in the middle, I let my eyes wander around the room. I recognize Antarctica. But then I see someone next to her.

My heart stops. My breathing rate increases rapidly. I start backwards, my heartbeat blocking out all other sounds. I have a flashback to a certain smiling Polish country in the dark. Under a broken streetlamp. When Father was still alive.

I gulp, still caught up in the moment, when he turns around. His deep scarlet eyes bear into me like a searing hot iron. He seems to notice me staring at him and turns around swiftly. But that's all it takes.

I'm about to go over and say hi when France comes to my side. "Mon cheri, you look as if you've seen a ghost! Come sit down, our order will be ready in a few minutes." She takes my arm, leading me over to a booth. We sit down, and I can't help but look back at the white and red flag. After all these years...does he still remember me?

My girlfriend reaches out a hand to look towards her. "Is everything alright?" She asks, with genuine concern in her voice. "Is it too hot? Maybe you should take off your coat."

I give a shaky nod while she pulls it off for me. "Better?" France smiles at me. I nod again.

But I can't speak. The Polish country has rekindled a feeling I thought had vanished over time. I quickly swallow it. No. I have France. She's all I need.

Right?

________________________________________________

hehe :>

well we have a super long weekend so I'll be writing more with these two

also I came out with a description finally so phew

okie happie reading uwu