Chapter 2

Poland's P.O.V.

I slipped my sweater on, the static making a crackling sound as it rubbed against my skin. Sometimes, after I rubbed up against something soft, I would touch someone or something else and get a shock.

I looked at my younger brother, Lithuania, who was playing with some cars and trucks at the other end of the room. I couldn't help but smile to myself as he made dramatic vroom vroom noises and flew them around in the air.

I heard footsteps approaching our small room. It was Poppa.

His flag was light scarlet, giving his colors a more relaxed look than mine. My red was deep crimson that stood out against the white background.

He looked down at me proudly. "(Time for your first day at school!)"

I grinned, jumping up with excitement and bouncing around. "(I know, I know!)"

My brother looked to the side, momentarily distracted from his toy cars by my burst of energy. Father smiled too. "(Yes yes, it is very exciting. Now, get ready, you don't want to be late!)"

I nodded vigorously, rushing back and forth with all my supplies. I shoved them into a satchel, slinging it over my shoulder. Poppa picked up Lithuania, resting him on his hip. He didn't protest, as the little country rather liked love and affection. My dad said it ran in the family.

We all trudged down a set of small, wooden stairs. Pictures hung on the wall of Grandfather and Uncle. Their smiling faces watched me as I descended.

Poppa set my brother down, where he promptly walked to a spot on the floor and sat down.

I opened the pantry, spotting a piece of bread. I took it out, holding it in my mouth as I closed the cabinets. My mouth watered, but I tried hard not to eat it before I could put it away.

When I turned around, Poppa was staring at me. His gaze was full of something like...sorrow? He seemed to also be simultaneously looking at the half roll of bread in my mouth.

I blinked, and his expression changed before I had enough time to do so. "(Hurry up, son! It would be terrible to miss the first day!)"

I took his advice and grabbed a scarf off of the shelf, slinging my satchel around my shoulder. I turned to Poppa, and he kissed me on the forehead. "(I love you son. Have a great day.)" I nodded, hugging him back. "(I love you too, Poppa.)"

My brother waddled out from behind the chair. I picked him up, giving him a nuzzle which he lovingly returned. "(And bye-bye to you too, little rascal!)"

After setting down Lithuania, I swung open the door, turning to wave at Poppa, then bounded out.

The sidewalk was crumbly, made of gravel. My shoes were covered in yet another layer of dirt as I kicked it up while running. Another gust of wind blew in my face, sending my scarf flying. I grabbed it in one hand, inspecting the colored fabric. Black, red and gold decorated the cloth.

My mind flashed back to the night where the mysterious country had crashed into me on the slide and given me his scarf. He seemed strange, flinching slightly whenever he looked at me and looking generally uncomfortable all the time. It was a shame I couldn't see his face in the darkness. But I thought nothing of it.

The schoolhouse appeared in the distance, the large bell above it reflecting early morning light on to my face. It was still dark because it was cold, but the light granted me a small bit of warmth.

I smiled slightly, then slowed down. If I did so fast enough, no one would notice I had run to school. I checked to make sure my stockings hadn't been ruined and that I brushed off the coat of dirt from my shoes.