Chapter 22

•••

PEETA'S POV

I walk to the jewlers again on my break from the bakery. This time its for a ring. Its been a little over six years since Katniss and I have been reunited and I feel like now is the perfect time. I walk in the double doors and head straight over to the ring area of the store. I look at all the rings in the cases untill I find one Katniss is sure to love. Its a simple silver band with a diamond in the middle. Then I think of something else to add to the ring. I ask a jewler if she can engrave the word 'always' on the inside of the band.

"I can but it might take up to five days." She says politely.

I nod, "That's fine." I say giving her my number so she can call me at the bakery when its ready. I pay for the ring and head back over to work. I walk into the bakery and see Katniss there. 

"Hey," I say, "What are you doing here?" I ask her. 

"I was getting lonely so I thought I'd come and visit." She explains.

"Oh, " I say, "Okay."

I walk to the back of the bakery and start icing a cake. While icing I decide that I will make our wedding cake...if she says yes. Katniss comes and joins my side watching.

"Ooo," She exclaims, "Thats beautiful." She says about my half-finished cake.

"Thank you." I say back. After I finish icing its time to put the candy flowers on. "You wanna help?" I ask her. Her face lights up immediatly.

"Yes!" She says wearing a huge smile. "Just tell me where to put them." She says. I nod and hand her a flower of her own. I put mine where I think it should go and then look at the cake. 

"There," I say and point to the front of the second tier. She places it in and I'm pretty impressed at how she put it. We do this for about 25 minutes untill I think the cake has enough flowers. We stand back and look at the cake as a whole. I smile liking how it looks and that Katniss got to help. She did a pretty good job. 

"I think you should put the flowers on everytime." I say to her smiling face. "You did almost as good as me." I tease. She gives me a look but comes over to give me a hug. 

"Its looks great. Who ever its for will definetly like it." She says squeezing me tighter. I smile and remove her arms from me to put the cake in the huge freezer we have in the very back. Once that's done, I go to the front to check the cash register and our sales list. Everything seems to be good so I lock up and we go home.

On the way home Katniss speaks, "I love you. You know that right?" She says.

I'm a little taken aback by her comment and why she said it so I answer, "Of course I know that. Why wouldn't I?" I ask.

"I don't know, " She says, "Just making sure I guess."

"Are you okay? You don't seem too happy anymore." I say worried something might be wrong.

"No I'm fine." She says quickly. 

"No you're not. I can see when something is wrong. What's the matter?" I ask gently.

She hesitates before answering, "It just that you haven't had a flashback in a while and I'm scared of when the next one might happen or how bad it'll be." She says avoiding my eyes. "So I just want to make sure you know I love you and that I'm not a mutt so I can prevent another one from happening." She says sadly. A tear rolls down  my cheek now knowing that she's scared and doesn't feel safe. 

I pull her with me to the side of the road and reassure and comfort her the best I can, "You know that you are safe with me and that there's no need to be scared. Even if I do have a flashback, you know how to stop it and make me come to my senses. If you can't you can run to Haymitch. He never leaves. We will always get through it." I cup her face with one hand and lock my fingers with hers.

She nods to what I said taking it all in. "I love you so much," I tell her, "More than you will ever know." I then crash my lips onto hers. She kisses back deepening the kiss. Our mouths part but just for a moment as we get some air. This kiss isn't like any of the others we've shared. This one has sadness, brokeness and hope all throughout it. We break apart and she puts her forehead against mine.

She brings her hands up and tangles her fingers in my hair and whispers, "You love me. Real or not real?"

Without hesitation I answer, "Real."