Chapter 4

•••

Later that night, I find myself lying on my back in bed looking up at the ceiling. I spend about an hour thinking about Peeta and I until sleep finds me.

'Peeta and I are walking back home from a peaceful day at the lake in the woods. We just slipped under the fence, and are walking through the meadow. Suddenly, Peeta gets pulled from my grasp, and I see who's pulling him away from me. Snow. I start screaming for Peeta and run after him, but I'm not fast enough. Snow takes him to a tree, and ties him to the trunk, pointing a gun to his head. "Any last words to your lover boy, Girl On Fire?" he hisses. "PEETA! PEETA NO!" I scream as I watch Snow pull the trigger.'

My eyes fly open. I'm sweating, and screaming for Peeta while the tears stream down my face. Then I remember; Peeta's in his house. I bolt out of bed, down the stairs, and out the door sprinting to Peeta's house. I unlock his front door with the spare key he keeps under the doormat. He must've heard me come in because he comes down the stairs.

"Peeta!" I gasp.

"Katniss, are you okay?" he asks, looking very worried.

"You were dead! S-Snow! He sh-shot you!" I stutter. Peeta cups my face with his hands.

"I promise you, Snow didn't shoot me. I'm right here." he assures me.

He then grabs my hand, and leads me up the stairs to his bedroom, and sits on the bed pulling me in his lap. He cradles me and rocks back and forth to try and calm me down. I lay with my head on his chest.

"Will you stay with me?" I ask him.

I hear him say one word to me in reply, until sleep pulls me under. "Always."