Chapter 18

•••

We walk into our house and see someone we both never expected to show up. Johanna. When he sees her Peeta’s grip on my hand tightens and so does mine.

“It’s okay Peeta.” She says seeing the fear in his eyes. “What are you doing here?” I ask politely.

“I came to see you guys. Effie called and told me Caesar wanted to interview me and I thought I’d come and see if he asked you too. And I didn’t want to call because I haven’t seen you guys in so long so I thought I’d visit. I hope that’s okay.” She says nodding to Peeta.

“It’s fine. But could you excuse us for a minute?”

“Sure.” She answers.

I take Peeta upstairs and that’s when he speaks. “She can’t be here. It’ll happen again and I can’t hurt you. And-“ I stop him midsentence.

“Everything will be fine. Just hold my hand and try to block her out. I’ll try and talk to her and see if there’s a better time she can come. Okay?”

“Okay.” He shakily replies. I grab his hand and we walk down the stairs to Johanna. Peeta keeps his head down to try and focus on anything else but her. I sit Peeta on the couch and meet Johanna in the kitchen.

“Is he still having flashbacks?” Is the first thing to escape her mouth. I nod in reply. “Should I come back a different time?” She asks.

“That’d probably be a better idea. He just had a flashback at Haymitch’s house because Haymitch mentioned you so it’d be best to come in like a few days. Give him a chance to calm down.”

“Yeah I understand.” She says.

“Thanks so much.” I say. Johanna nods, hugs me and heads out.

I walk to where I put Peeta and I find him still on the couch. I crawl onto his lap and wrap my arms around his neck. He holds me tight and buries his face in my hair. I rest my head on his shoulder and begin to relax.

“Katniss?” I hear Peeta say.

“Yes?” I answer.

“You love me. Real or not real?” he asks.

I don’t hesitate when I answer, “Real. It will always be real and nothing can ever change that.” I look into his blue eyes and he smiles and kisses my forehead. I rest my forehead against his and smile wishing we could stay like this forever but my stomach tears us apart when it suddenly growls. Peeta chuckles.

“Hungry?” he asks. I nod. “What do you want to eat?” He asks.

I think for a moment.“Cheese buns.” I answer.

“Okay.” he replies. “You have to get up so I can make them though.” He says with a laugh.

“But I’m comfortable here.” I complain.

“Well if you don’t move I can’t make cheese buns for you. So it looks like you have to make a choice.” He says smirking. My stomach growls again and I look at Peeta. He raises his eyebrows waiting to hear my decision.

I stand up cross my arms and say,“I want my cheese buns.” Peeta gets up and heads to the kitchen. I follow to watch him make them.

“Do you want to try?” He asks me.

“Every time I try I mess them up and then they taste bad. But when you make them they are always amazing so I think I should just sit here and watch.” I say hopping up to sit on the counter. I watch as he makes them perfectly and before I know it he’s putting them in the oven.

Once they’re in the oven he comes over to me still sitting on the counter. “What are we going to do about the interview?” I ask.

“I don’t know. We should probably call Effie and ask when it is.” He says. Then I have an idea.

“We could invite everyone over and talk about it together.” I suggest.

“Everyone meaning who?”

“Effie Haymitch and umm-“ I pause wondering whether or not I should mention her name. “Umm Johanna.” I trail off waiting for what might happen. I look in his eyes and see nothing but the beautiful shade of blue in his eyes. I look at his hands and notice they’re gripping the edge of the counter. I take his face in my hands and whisper “It’s okay.” He nods and hears the oven ding so he goes to take the cheese buns out and puts them on the counter opposite of me. I hop down off my counter to go look at the cheese buns when Peeta pulls me in front of him.

He rests his head on my shoulder, “I love you,” he whispers in my ear.

“I love you too.” I say leaning my head back to rest on his strong shoulder and closing my eyes.