Chapter 10

•••

A couple days later, I wake up in Peeta's arms. I look up to see him still sleeping. I lean up and kiss his lips. His eyes slowly flutter open to reveal his beautiful blue eyes.

"Hey." I say to him.

"Hey." He says back.

"What do u wanna do today?" I ask him.

"Do you want to go on a picnic in the meadow?"

"Sure." I say excitedly. "Can you make pancakes for breakfast?" I plead.

He chuckled a little. "Sure." He replies.

"You ready?" Peeta asks as I walk down the stairs.

"Yup!" Peeta grabs my hand in his and in the other he grabs the picnic basket. Before he walks me out the door he kisses my cheek.

"I love you so much." He says.

"I love you too." I answer back.

We get to the meadow and pick a spot under a large oak tree. It's beautiful out today. Its a blue cloudless sky with just a subtle breeze. Peeta sets down the picnic basket, sits down, and pulls me onto his lap. We eat the sandwiches he made us. After we're done Peeta lays down on the grass and I rest my head on his chest. After a while of lying quietly on the grass Peeta speaks up.

"I have something for you." he says.

"What is it?" I ask getting up.

"A surprise." he simply says.

PEETA'S POV

I go in the picnic basket and pull out a long black box. As I open it Katniss' eyes tear up. I suddenly snaps it shut and tell her to turn around. She does as I say and I put the necklace on her neck. She looks down at the necklace. Tears start to roll down her face.

"Oh Peeta!" Say gasps. "It's beautiful! Thank you!" I smile. "Is that my pearl in the middle?" she asks me.

"Yeah." I reply. The tears are streaming down her face now. I place her back in my lap and hug her genuinely.

"Thank you so much Peeta." she thanks.

"Anything for you, Katniss." Then I lean in, and kiss her lips. It's a long passionate kiss. She's the one who breaks away.

"We should start heading home." she starts. "It's getting late."

"Okay." I reply. I pick up Katniss bridal style and grab the basket with the hand that's under her legs and carry her back home.