Chapter 13

•••

I wake up to notice Peeta isn't beside me. I start to freak out until I see he left me a note. 'Katniss, I had to go into the bakery today because one of my employees called in sick. I promise I won't be there long but if you want you can come down to see me. I love you, Peeta.' Now I know exactly what I'm going to do today. I'm going to see Peeta.

On my way to the bakery I pass what’s left of my old house in what used to be the Seam. I stop and stare at it for a while until deciding to go in. I push open the door and it creaks. I step in and it looks like it did the day we left. The floors are dusty and the table still has the same table cloth we left on it. I walk into the room I used to share with my sister. The small bed is made and the old cloths that wouldn’t have fit us are still hanging in the closet. I walk out and into my parents’ old bedroom. I cross over to my mother’s nightstand and open the drawer. Inside is a small picture of my family. I start to get a lump in my throat. In the picture my father stands behind my mother with his hand on her shoulder. I stand in front of my father with little Prim beside me. I let a tear roll down my cheek until I decide it’s time to go see Peeta.

I continue my walk to the bakery until I smell cinnamon. I start to walk faster anxious to see Peeta. I walk in and the little bell above the door rings.

“I’ll be with you in a minute!” Peeta yells from the kitchen. I walk back to where he is and see him standing in front of a counter making cookies. I go up behind him and wrap my arms around him. He turns around a little surprised until he sees it’s me. He smiles and wraps his strong arms around me. I burry my face into his chest and start to cry.

“Hey,” he says worried, “What’s wrong?” I can’t speak. I pull out my small family picture and give it to Peeta. Once he looks at it he realizes that he doesn’t need an explanation as to why I’m crying. He hugs me tighter and next thing I know is I’m being swept off my feet and into Peeta’s arms.

“What are you doing?” I ask him as we head out the bakery door.

“You need me and no matter what you’re always going to be the number one most important thing in my life.” I give him a sad smile.

“I love you so much,” I tell him resting my head on his strong shoulder.

“I love you too.” He replies as we head back home.