Chapter 18: Something's Not Right

Lunch bell rang and I suddenly felt confused. Janna had told me to help her with River and lunch time was the best time to do it. On the other hand, River had told me to sit with him during lunch. My head was juggling among Janna, River and me. Do I obey my heart and listen to River? Or help my other friend to the guy she likes so much at the same time breaking my heart and betraying River? That's when someone blocked my way through the hallway, breaking my sea of thoughts.

"Smile," the voice said and the flash came.

I wonder how I looked on the camera, startled. That's when I focused on the photographer. I sucked in my breath. It's Clyde. My stomach churned at the same time, my cheeks were burning red. "What are you doing? Delete!" I yelled.

He smiled revealing his dimple, at the same time making something inside me jump. He took his camera and showed me the picture. "You look cute in a surprised and innocent way."

He was right. I didn't look ugly. I was staring at the lens with too much innocence as if someone just captured my attention and I was too naïve to look. But still..."It's not funny. I mean it, delete."

"I still don't get why you don't see how pretty you look," he blabbered then as if considering his words for a moment and he added, "in this photo."

I pouted and crossed my arms at him and glared at him. My mind was telling me to keep the angry face and my heart was telling me to soften down on him-to smile because he sounded nice just now. He looked at me and hit the delete button. "Happy?" he said.

"Thank you, kind sir. Now if you excuse me, I shall get...lunch," I told him but he caught my arm and spun me around. Surprised by his action, I raised my eyebrow at him. Our faces are just inches apart. I think he had just realized what I just realized because he looked around the same time I did because people were sneaking glances on us. He dragged me to the art room again. As he slowly closes the door behind us, my heart can't relax. It was pumping too much blood causing me to turn into a giant tomato in front of Clyde. When I was about to sit, he said, "Just stay behind me. Don't go anywhere." I was startled but I followed. He makes me nervous. I wonder what's he gonna say.

His back is facing me. His hand on the door knob. I feel disrespected. "At least face me when you wanna talk to me." I blurted out.

He released his grip on the door knob and faced me. He looked nervous and walked closer to me decreasing the huge gap between us. Now we're just few inches away. I swallowed and waited for him to open his mouth to tell me something.

"Do you hate me?" he said in a low voice but it was in a kind tone.

That was a random topic to ask, but it was an easy question. "No, I don't. Why do you ask?"

I think I saw his playful smile-which disapperead abruptly, and I don't know if it's to hide it from me-and him nod slightly. "I was just wondering, that's all."

"I don't believe you," I said. I really don't, but I don't know why either.

He cocked his head to the left. "Why is that? What do you think is the reason?" This time, a smile escaped from his lips.

"Never mind, I'm leaving," when I was about to grab the door knob, he pulled me to him. The next thing I know, his hand was around my waist and my hands found his. We looked at each other for like three seconds when suddenly his grip loosened and his eyes became sad. I backed away from him and started for the door. But his voice caught me again. "Do you like me?" those words ringing in my ears.

"What?" I asked him, turning to face him.

"I'm just asking if you know, you like me as a friend?"

That's a relief. As a friend. "Yes," I replied easily. It's a good thing he added the phrase, "as a friend."

"Then you may go now. That's it," he smiled and sat on an empty seat. I left him alone, heading to the cafeteria to meet River. And that's that.

*************************************************

Author's Note:

Hey readers! I know it's short. I was having a writer's block. But next time, I'll try to make sure to write longer. For now, just enjoy this little chapter of mine. Don't forget to vomment ;) xoxo